Chapter 10

"Did you make dessert?"

"I'm the dessert."

"The pretty lady wants to be naughty, huh? Hmmm."

She laughed and told him about the sweet potato pie warming in the oven. He felt worse than he did when he walked into the house. He had to get this off his chest and tell her the truth. Let the chips fall where they may.

"I have something to talk to you about after we finish dinner."

She had no idea about the heartbreak she was getting ready to experience. What he wanted to tell her would shatter her heart into a million pieces, and turn her world upside down. She would probably feel the same way I did. Shantay is about to find out she is a side chick. During dinner, he played scenarios in his head or how she would react and prayed it wasn't anything close to how I had reacted.

 She finished her dinner and waited for him to finish his, so they could have dessert. She walked over to the other side of the kitchen and took the sweet potato pie out of the oven. Gavin was smart enough to wait for her to serve him a slice and put the knife down. She sat down.

"Alright, Mr. Gavin tell me what you need to tell me. I can't wait any longer."

Gavin was extremely nervous.

"Promise you won't freak out and jump me. Promise you'll let me finish before you respond."
"Ummm okay."

"Alright, here it goes. I've been married to a woman named Adassa for nearly twenty years."

Before he could get the part about the children out, she flew across the table and jumped on him. She began to smack him; she wouldn't stop. He had to grab her and hold her, to get her to stop hitting him.

 "You promised you'd let me finish."

"That was before you told me you were married for twenty got damn years."

"What did tell you, Gavin?"

"Repeat that shit back to me verbatim. I know you can."

"You listen to that Sade song at least once a day, because somebody already broke your heart, and you couldn't take that again."

"Twenty got damn years? Really? What do you have to tell me? You said you didn't finish, so finish."

"I have three children with her. Sharee is twelve and she hates me; she knows what's going on. Angel is nine, Jonathon is six, and they have no idea what's going on."

"A whole damn family Gavin. Really?"

"I love you, I really do."

"What a coincidence, I love me too."

"You've been married for twenty years, you should go home to your wife and children."

"I don't want to go home; I want to stay here with you."

"I've heard this before man, next you'll be promising me that you all getting a divorce."

"Who are you kidding? I'm not stupid. Does your wife know about me?"

"Yes, now she knows about you."

"I feel so bad for her right now. I bet she thinks I knew. I had no clue. I want to talk to her."

"Why, so you all can sit and compare notes, no thank you. Oh no, that's not going to happen"

"Oh yes, it will. Do you know why? You owe me this. Look what you did. Make it happen, now."

"No!"

"I'm going to bed, you can let yourself out."

"I'm not going anywhere. You're going to have call the law to get me out of here."

"Fine, you won't be sleeping with me, when I come down in the morning, if you aren't gone, I'll call the law. You'll leave one way or another."

Heartbreak will turn you into someone else. She felt like she had her heart torn out and ripped to shreds. She slowly walked up the stairs, to her room. Once she shut the door, she climbed into bed and cried herself to sleep.

 Once she shut the door, she climbed into bed and cried herself to sleep

She woke up the next morning and rolled over. For a few seconds she pictured Gavin sleeping peacefully, then it all came rushing back.

She went downstairs to see if he was still on her couch. He was still there, so she decided to call the law. She stood over him and dialed 911. He sat up and grabbed the phone from her.

"Who are you calling?"

"The police."

"I told you not to be here when I got up."

"Yes, you did but it does not mean that I was going to listen."

"I want to meet her or you can go to hell."

"I'm trying really hard to be the man you met previously. You are making this harder than it needs to be. I told you that I love you."

"I'm sure you tell that to your wife too. I hope you say that to your children. I bet you think you're about to have your own version of sister wives, don't you. I don't think so."

Gavin laughed so hard he started to cough. This made her even madder than she was when she discovered he was still in her house. He was aggressive with me when he needed to be most of our marriage. Shantay had never had to witness that side of him until things didn't go his way. This is when I saw the other side of him. I have to admit it scared the mess out of me. Shantay finally got to see this, and after she was scared too. If he got mad enough he could put the fear of God into you without touching you. It was eerily creepy. He got up off the couch and stretched. 

"I'm going to go upstairs and take a shower. I would hope that you will have made breakfast for us by the time I come back."

He kissed her on her forehead, winked at her, smiled and darted up the stairs. She stood at the bottom of the stairs in total shock. He is acting like all of this is okay, and she is supposed to play along like a good girlfriend. She thought he was nuts. He came back down the stairs. He forgot to grab his clothes before he went upstairs the first time.

"Why are you standing there like you've seen a ghost? Breakfast isn't going to cook itself, sweetie."

"You are really crazy. Something is really wrong with you. Who are you and what did you do with Gavin?"

Gavin rolled his eyes, laughed, and darted back up the stairs. The shower was still running, and he didn't want to miss out on the hot water. She turned to walk into the kitchen to fulfill his request. It was then that she decided to have the locks changed once he left for work.