Chapter 17

"Thanks for being woman enough to call me and tell me. I had been asking to meet you, but Gavin wasn't having that. I think he was afraid I would do something crazy. I really wasn't; I was just hurt. If he chooses you, good luck."

"I thought you were going to curse me out and hang up on me."

 "If I had found out you knew about me, the outcome would have been completely different. Thanks for the phone call and your honesty."

I'm sure she felt a little relief, but that may change once Gavin drops his little proposal on her. I wonder if she's going to go along with his urban version of sister wives. It would be nice to witness that. I wonder what she looks like, or if she looks better than me. Curiosity has gotten to me. I walked back into the living room to find Gavin sleep and drooling on one of the couch pillows. I was surprised he wasn't standing behind me when I turned to come out of our bedroom.

It was a little after 4 pm, which meant it was time to go and pick up the children from the YMCA. I would have gone to pick them up, but knowing him, he'd be gone by the time I got back. That would be the quickest way for him to mess up my night, and rain on my parade. He would be with the children tonight when I went out. I would have let him sleep, but decided not to. I woke him up. 

"Gavin, wake up!"

"Huh?"

"It's time for the children to come out of the YMCA. You napped for a really long time."

"Man, that's the best sleep I've had in a long time."

"Really, I wonder why that is, no let me stop. I don't want to get into that argument again. It could go on forever, and I really don't have time for that."

He got up, got his coat and keys to go and get the children. I was supposed to get my hair done today but thought better of it. I'm going out to get some fresh air, and not to meet someone, but as I said before, if it happens it happens. 

Since I was home alone for a while, I decided to relax with a glass of wine, and the latest book I picked up from the library. I didn't tell anyone, but I was thinking about trying my hand at writing fiction, just to see where it went. With all the free time I've had lately, that's what I should have been doing, instead of crying over him. My latest read is 'Elements of Fiction Writing', it's a book about fiction writing for beginners. I need to find an outlet. I think I'll be good at writing. I hope I learn something from this read. There are many more to come. You know what they say. You have to study your craft and learn as much as you can to be on the path to becoming great at it. 

I sat on the couch with my glass of wine and picked up the remote. I needed some background noise. Don't ask me why I am used to having some noise in the background of whatever I was doing. It was a force of habit. I flipped through the cable channels and landed on MTV. As soon as I went to crack open my book and read, the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID, it was Gavin.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Not much, I have the children, and I'm about to take them to get something to eat. Is that cool with you?"

"Yeah, that'll be great, and it'll give me some time to myself."

"I wanted to check-in, so you didn't think I kidnapped our children when I didn't bring them back right away."

"I know you would not be trying to pull that move. You are not crazy."

"This is true. You know you can still back out of that club night, and stay home with us. We can order some pizza and watch some movies as a family."

"I'm going out with my sister and her friends to get some fresh air and clear my head. Sorry, not sorry, I'm still going."

He was silent for a moment, then the line went dead. He hung up on me; that meant he was pissed. He was used to getting his way and it just wasn't going to happen this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if he came running through that door demanding that I stay home. He can be mad if he wants. I'm going out.

This phone is ringing off the hook today. I guess it's because it's Saturday. Right about now I would be on my way home with the children or stopped off somewhere visiting before we came home. I answered.

"Hey Adassa, it's your favorite sister."

"Remember you're my only sister."

"What's up? How's everything going over there with the return of mister?"

I'm sure you have seen the color purple. When we first got married Kendra made it clear that she didn't like Gavin. For that reason, she started calling him mister. Over time she grew to tolerate him for the sake of our relationship. Then she would only call him mister if he did or said something she didn't like. I'm guessing she didn't like him right now because that's what she's calling him again. I always found it funny I just didn't let him know that. My baby sister had a way with words. 

"Everything is fine at the moment, he went to go pick up the children, and take them for food. He had the nerve to tell me I still had time to cancel on going out with you guys. He tried to guilt me, talking about we can have a family night with pizza and movies."

"He really doesn't want you to go out tonight huh? Oh well. He should have thought about that when he was with the jump-off all that time."

"That's what I said, He has got some nerve to be mad or upset about me going out when he has been gone for months, living another life that didn't include me or his children. I'm not falling for the sob story, not this time around."