Chapter 11

When she went into the kitchen she heard a strange ring tone. She came back out of the kitchen and looked around. Gavin dropped his phone at the bottom of the steps. She picked it up but didn't answer it. She waited for it to stop ringing. She went into the phone book and started scrolling, she found Adassa's phone number copied it down, and stuffed it into her pocket. She was going to meet Adassa with or without him. Since he snapped at her, told her no during their last argument, it would be without him. She went into the kitchen to make breakfast. 

When Gavin back downstairs he was fully dressed and ready to go. He would sit down with her and eat before he left for work. He pretended like nothing occurred the night before, and initiated small talk.

"How are you feeling this morning pretty lady?" He began to eat what she cooked him.

"I'm fine how about you? How are the eggs and bacon?"

"Pretty damn good, pretty lady. Thank you."

She didn't want to provoke him since she discovered he was aggressive. She didn't want to risk him snapping at her, or worse hitting her. She'd play pretend until he was gone. 

"Breakfast is great. I can't wait to see what you make for dinner."

"I'm not sure what I'll make for dinner. I have to look at the meal plan. You know I'm a bit obsessive about being organized."

"Yeah, that's one thing I like about you. We are the complete opposite when it comes to that stuff. I'm kind of messy."

"Oh, I know. Cleaning up after you is like cleaning up after a kid."

"I'm not that bad; the most I do is leave my work clothes laying around."

"Your work clothes, underwear, giant shoes, and dishes. You leave stuff all over the house. You don't know how many times I've come down to the bottom of the stairs, and tripped over your big work boots."

Gavin laughed.

"I guess I really am that bad when it comes to leaving stuff everywhere. I promise with your help and some time I'll get better. Will you help me? If you promise to help me, pretty lady, I'll give you something you'll won't forget."

He licked his lips and she lost focus for a minute, but she agreed to help him.

"Sure baby, you know I got you."

He finished his breakfast, got up and did one of those touchdown football dances.

She laughed at him, got up and went over to give him a kiss. She couldn't wait for him to leave so she could call a locksmith and set up a meeting with his wife, Adassa. 

He went over to the living room to grab his cellphone and his jacket. Before he left he looked out the window and saw snow coming down. Winter in Chicago had finally arrived, and he was ready for it. He jumped in his truck, pulled out the driveway and sped away.

She was relieved that he was gone. She went to wash the dishes from breakfast. After that, she climbed on the couch and turned on the television. This was just in case he doubled back to the house like he forgot something. Once the time passed she called the nearest locksmith. She told them that it was an emergency, and she needed the locks changed as soon as possible. The owner of the shop she called sent one of his employees out right away. As she waited for the locksmith to arrive, she pulled Adassa's number out of her pocket and stared at it. 

When we left Portillo's Sharee climbed in the back with Angel and Jonathon

When we left Portillo's Sharee climbed in the back with Angel and Jonathon. I guess she needed to be close to them. I thought about everything that had happened those last few weeks; I wanted to cry. I looked in my rear view mirror at them; they were fast asleep. They looked so peaceful when they were sleeping.

When we got home, it was hard to wake them and get them into the house. I managed to wake Sharee and Angel, I had to carry Jonathon. That child was down for the count.

After we walked into the house, Sharee and Angel went to their rooms. I carried Jonathan to his room and tucked him in. Once he was tucked in I went to change into my pajamas and climbed into bed. I hoped to drift off to sleep immediately, but that just didn't happen.

I grabbed the remote and turned on the television. I guess I'll watch some more reality TV. I looked at my phone. I really wanted to call Kendra, but it was too late. I will not have her weirdo boyfriend screaming at me. Then my phone rang. Who's calling me this late at night. I answered.

"Hello."

Whoever it was only breathed on the phone, they didn't say anything. I hung up. That was weird, extremely weird. New phone same number, so who could this be? I felt myself getting sleepy. I turned off the TV and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, believe it or not, I felt rejuvenated. Gavin didn't know it, but this madness is coming to an end. I just haven't worked out the details yet. I got up got dressed, cooked breakfast, and got the children ready for school. I dropped them off at school, told them I loved them, and to wait for me and only me after school. If their father shows up, they were not to leave with him. They all agreed and went into school. Once I returned home I called my sister, Kendra. It rang twice, she answered.

 "What's up?"

"It's your sister. Do you ever look at your caller ID?"

"Not really, unlike you I like surprises."

"Still a weirdo, I see."

"You still love me though."

"The jury is still out on that one."

"Yeah, whatever woman."

"Are you calling about club night again? I told I'd hook you up with the details."

"It's way more than that. Gavin finally admitted to cheating."

"Say what?"

"Yeah, I called to ask if he wanted to divorce, and then counseling. He said he'd think about it. He was taking forever, so I called back to get an answer, he said no, and admitted everything."

"Damn."

"Yeah, I was so mad I threw my phone at the wall, it broke into what seemed like a million pieces. Sharee heard everything  and came to console me." 

 "How long has he been messing with this chick?"

"He installed her cable, nice and convenient."

"He needs a serious beat down."

"Please, he's not worth the hassle."

"Does the other woman know? Is she someone you know?"

"He won't let me meet her, so she has to be someone I don't know."

"I swear he is one sorry son of a bitch for doing this to you, after all, you have done for him."

"You are preaching to the choir."

"Anyway, two can play that game."

 "What does that mean?"

"It means, whatever happens, happens. If I meet someone then I meet someone."