Chapter 21

"It felt weird that the girls didn't participate, but at least Jonathon came around. I know it will take some time. I just hope it doesn't take too long. I don't know if I can take this cold shoulder for too much longer."

"You'll be just fine stop whining. I have to go we're here."

"Where is here?"

 "None of your business."

"It is my business because you are my wife."

"You don't act like I'm your wife, you're spending all your time with other people."

I hung up before he could say anything else. We made it to the lighthouse. I guess it really was ladies' night because the line to get into this place was long. I drove past the front doors to look for a spot to park the car. Kendra had fallen asleep, and so had both of her friends. I had to wake everyone up and tell them we made it. One of them forgot we were coming here. I asked Kendra to handle her friend. My services tonight only included driving the car at this point. After everyone composed themselves we all climbed out of the car and crossed to the street to get to the front doors of the club. When we walked up the bouncer motioned us over, and ushered us in through the doors. The ladies that had been standing in line for a while were a little upset that we skipped the line.   

When we walked in there. Kendra and her friends went right over to a table close to the back by the bathroom. There were other people they were coming to meet. I kind of felt out of place, so I walked over to the bar to get myself a drink.

I sat down on a stool towards the end of the bar, so I could see Kendra and the girls could see me. I remember the rules she recited in the car earlier. They would prove to be useful, especially since I was at the bar, away from their crowd. I waved at the bartender until he acknowledged me. When he made his way down to the end of the bar, I asked for a drink.

"What are you having miss?

"I'd like a Malibu and coke."

"That's an interesting combination for a drink. Do you bartend?"

"No, I'm a super mom, not to be confused with a soccer mom."

 I laughed, I always said something silly to break the ice when meeting new people. I'm the family comedienne; I have to make someone laugh about something. This also took my mind off Gavin and the madness surrounding him. The bartender brought my drink to me and asked me if I wanted anything else. I was fine at the moment; I just might order another one. I wasn't trying to get too tipsy because Kendra and the girls were having a ball, and I knew they were already too far gone. I just hoped they could walk to the car without falling over after this night ended.

I turned around to look and see if they were okay, they were all smiles which meant they were fine. I was getting ready to ask the bartender for another drink. He came over to me with another Malibu and coke. This confused look came over my face; he pointed behind me, at the gentlemen who bought me my next and last drink.

 He raised his glass and mouthed the word cheers, and I mouthed thank you. I turned around on my stool to face the bar. Before I knew it he was sitting next to me. He had to be about a foot taller than me, I'm only 5'1. It seems like everyone is taller than me. His complexion was light without blemishes, light brown eyes, gorgeous smile, and dressed for a night on to town. I didn't understand why he was sitting in a club all by himself. It looked a little odd to me. He spoke to me but I could barely hear him. It was so loud in there. He looked at the door and then back at me. This time he spoke loud enough for me to hear.

"Would you like to go outside with me and talk?"

I remembered the rules Kendra and the girls recited in the car; I politely declined. He asked me why; I pointed at the table full of women I came with.

"Oh, we won't leave the premises, and the bouncer will be able to see you while you're outside talking to me."

"I'd really rather not go outside. I have to be leaving soon anyway. I am the designated driver tonight."

"Okay, well we can sit here and whisper in each other's ears like we have a secret."

I laughed. He whispered and asked me a few questions.

"Where did you come from? I've never seen you in here before. I'm usually here on Saturday, and I can't say I have ever seen you here before."

It got really cheesy real quick, but it was nice to have someone other than Gavin compliment me.

While we were talking I heard an accent; it was kind of cute. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I asked him about his background. That accent didn't sound like a Chicago accent.  

"I hear an accent if you don't mind me asking, where are you from?"

"I am from a beautiful place in Puerto Rico called Isabela."

"The name sounds beautiful, and how did you wind up in Chicago of all places?"

The small talk between us was starting to get interesting. I could actually say that the night wasn't a total waste. I was not planning to, but I actually met someone I had a nice conversation with. 

"I followed my family here. My parents have been here for many years. I was stubborn when I was young; I refused to come with them. I am here now because my father is ill."

"I'm sorry to hear that, what's wrong with him?"

"He has had cancer of the liver for several years. We thought it was in remission, but it came back four times."