Chapter 19

"Is there something you would like to say to me, Gavin?"

"You know what I'm going to say, I think you should stay home with us."

"Nope, I am still going, I hope you enjoy the night with our children."

I walked down the hall to the kitchen, to greet Kendra and her friends.

"Hey girl what gives? It's super early, I thought you were coming around 9 pm."

"We decided we would come around here early, and have a couple of drinks before we left."

I know she knew better than this, my children are home, I never drank in front of my children, and I was not about to start doing it now. Neither she nor her friends would be drinking in my house while my children are home. I pulled Kendra to the side to talk to her. We can go anywhere she wants to go, to have some cocktails. We just can't have them here.

"I love you dear little sister, but we don't drink when the children are home."

"Damn, mister is a buzz kill already and we haven't even left the house yet."

"This has nothing to do with mister, this is one of my rules, and has been since I gave birth to Sharee remember?"

"Well, that was twelve years ago. I honestly don't remember that, I'm sorry. Well if we're going to go out to have some drinks you need to get dressed. People might look at you funny if you go outside in your robe and slippers"

"I was hoping you would understand; I don't want these rug rats to get any ideas. Children today just mimic everything that they see. If my children don't see me or any house guest drinking, it won't even cross their minds to want to do it."

"Supermom is an understatement. You should have gotten that award they gave to Bruce/Caitlyn. How does an individual without ovaries win the woman of the year? I still need someone to explain that one to me."

"You and me both, I was wondering why he needed an award for coming out as transgender. I mean millions of people do this every year and have had a much harder life than him. I don't get it, the world is a complete mess right now. This is why I am always after my children."

"I don't plan on having any children. It was a good idea before, even talked to my other half about it. This is not a world I want to raise a child in. There is simply too much going on, especially here in Chicago."

"You got that right, now come here and look at this dress. I don't have the body I used to, so I might look a little strange, but tell me what you think."

Kendra came over to look at my dress, her eyes got huge, and they kind of looked like little mini saucers. She freaked me out, looking at me like that.

"Kendra, what do you think?"

"Girl, you look gorgeous. If you don't come home with a bunch of numbers tonight, something is wrong."

She made me feel good when she told me that. I wonder how Gavin would react. Let put on the heels that go with this dress, and find out. I went to our bedroom to get my heels, Kendra followed me. I put on my heels and looked in the mirror again. I did look pretty good for having three children. I mean I didn't let myself go completely. I went to the living room to show Gavin. I knew he would turn into a jealous tyrant, but I didn't care. I looked damn good and he needed to see what he was missing all this time. 

"Gavin come and look at me."

He came down the hall and into our bedroom. Once I turned around to face him, he did the same thing Kendra did. His eyes got huge, he took his glasses off and opened his mouth, but no words came out. He was speechless for the first time in 18 years.

"You are beautiful; I seriously don't want you to go out, emphasis on the serious part. I know, I know, you are going out anyway."

He looked at me with those sad puppy dog eyes, he used to give me whenever he got sick. It was so cute; I couldn't help but crack a smile. Of course, I fed his ego just a little. I told him maybe I would come back a little earlier than I had planned to. We both knew that was a lie, and for some reason, it made him smile, and even feel better about the situation. He came over to me and gave me one of those bear hugs. He whispered in my ear. 

"If your sister wasn't standing there, you would not be going anywhere."

"Oh really, you think so?"

"I'd rip off this dress, ravage you, and sweat out your hairdo."

Okay, he was starting to sound like the man I married long ago, and this was very tempting, but I still need to out and get some air. I haven't experienced life outside of motherhood in many years. Kendra was disgusted by the sultry conversation; she could hear him whispering nasty things. She walked with the speed of lightning to the kitchen to wait for me. I was only a few seconds behind her, but I turned around to see if he was still looking. He was still looking.

"Yuck, mister is so nasty, he couldn't even wait for me to leave the room to start the x-rated conversation huh?"

"This is why I say every woman needs a little black dress in their wardrobe. This is the type of dress to get them going in a heartbeat."

This little black dress is a little bigger than the one I use to have. I went out and bought it when I first told Kendra I would be in attendance for their regular club night. Having children will make you self-conscience about your body. I thought this was one of the reasons that Gavin left me, apparently not. If his mouth had been open any longer, he would have been drooling all over the place. I felt a little confidence when I bought this dress, after his reaction I am completely confident that I look gorgeous in this dress. I'm ready for a night of fun. I grabbed my coat and purse, we walked out the door.