Chapter 13

"Listen, I've been thinking about this. Have you heard of polyamorous relationships?"

"What the hell is a polyamorous relationship?"

I had to Google this, and find out what the hell it was. The first thing to pop up was the urban dictionary. According to the urban dictionary, this means having more than one committed relationship at the same time. Has this fool lost his mind? He must be drinking or smoking some really good drugs. 

"It's a committed relationship with more than one person. If we were to enter into a polyamorous relationship, I would be committed to you and her. There would be no one else, but the three of us."

"Gavin Andrew Carter, have you lost your mind? There is no way in hell I'm going to live like that. It's either all or nothing."

"You have my all. We could move to a bigger house. There would be help with the bills, she could help with the children. This is a win, win situation."

He is really trying to sell this sister wives madness. Maybe if I pretend to agree with it, that's how I'll meet the other woman. I'm dying to see what she looks like and what she has that I don't. What made Gavin stray? I just have to know, and he won't tell me. 

"I don't have your all. You are delusional if you think I do. This whole year, you have been missing in action, and you've been cheating. I would never do something like this to you."

I don't think I can I play pretend just to meet this chick.

"I think this could work, Adassa."

"You didn't answer me, Gavin. Answer my questions."

"Yes, I love her, but I love you too. Yes, I'm in love with her, but I'm in love with you too."

"You can't have your cake and eat it too. This isn't right, it's not right at all."

I couldn't help myself, I started to cry. This fool called himself trying to console me, after he has broken my heart into a million pieces, and then set them ablaze. He never answered my question.

"Don't cry, you know I love you. I'm not trying to break your heart. It's always been about you and the children."

"Newsflash when you get married, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. You have the nerve to talk about it's always been about us. As if I haven't catered to you for nearly 20 years. I wash your clothes, cook your food, take care of your children, and do whatever else it is you need me to do. You can't say I am not or wasn't doing my job in the bedroom. I even wanted to try some new things with you. I lived for you and our children."

"I didn't even look at it like that. I thought I felt bad before, I really feel bad now. Think about the polyamorous relationship. I still think it could work."

He hung before I could ask any more questions. 

Gavin was sitting in his truck when I called him

Gavin was sitting in his truck when I called him. He has just pulled up to Shantay's house. He sighed when he got off the phone with me. I had managed to make him feel worse than he supposedly already felt. He set in the truck for a while thinking. He was doing the same thing I did, trying to figure out where it all went wrong. He lied to me when he told me that Shantay was fine with knowing he was married. He also made it seem like she knew about this polyamorous business. He planned to discuss polyamorous relationships with Shantay tonight. He hoped she wouldn't react like she did when she found he was married with children. 

Eventually, Gavin climbed out of the truck and walked up to Shantay's front door. He put his phone in his pocket and put his key in the door. He tried to unlock it, but the key didn't work. He knocked on the door several times, she didn't answer, so he pulled out his phone and called her. The phone rang several times before she answered. Her voice sounded like she had been sleeping.

"Hello."

"Wake up, it's Gavin. My key doesn't work. What's wrong with the door?"

Shantay had the locks changed when he left to go to work. He scared the hell out of her. When she did this she was thinking of her own safety. Gavin wasn't the man she thought he was.

"I had the locks changed today"

"What do you mean you changed the locks? Why would you do that?"

"Go home to your wife and children."

"Right now, I'm here with you pretty lady. Come down and let me in, I love you."

"Go home to your family."

"Open the door Shantay."

"No, and if you don't leave, I'm calling the police."

He began to kick and bang on her front door. His voice became strained as he screamed into the phone.

"Open the god damn door pretty lady."

She hung up the phone and sat up in bed. She listened to see if she could hear him banging on the door. She didn't hear him, but she stayed in bed, with the phone in her hand ready to call the police.

Gavin stumped on the ground like a child having a tantrum. He went over to his truck and kicked the tire. He began to talk to himself.

"Why is this shit happening to me? She doesn't understand that I love her."

He climbed into his truck and sat there for a while. He pulled out his phone to call her again. The phone rang for a while, and she answered.

"Did you ever plan on leaving her?"

"That was my plan."

Gavin stopped talking because he realized she might not understand, or she would respond as I did.

"Was?"

"I really need to talk to you face to face about this, pretty lady."

"Fine, but it won't be here. Right now you need to go home."

"If I leave now you have to promise me, we'll talk about this at a later date."

"Okay, now you need to leave."

"Alright pretty lady, I'm going."

Gavin jumped in his truck and sat there for a few minutes. A smile came across his face. He was happy that she wanted to talk to him. He wasn't completely down for the count. There was some hope. He needed to convince her. He still thought a polyamorous relationship would work. He drove away from her house with a smile on his face. He planned to follow her advice, but he'd stop for a beer. He started the drive to Loncar's. He needed a drink to deal with me.