Gay son's are fun!...

I woke up early the next day and contemplated tapping on the wall again, but thought better of it. At nine on a Saturday morning, most normal people were still asleep. So I took my coffee, bundled myself up in a knitted hat and scarf and went to the tree. I was secretly hoping to bump into Li-Hau again, and I wasn't disappointed. She was picking flowers and she turned and flashed me a big grin. She wasn't alone this time, though.

"Hi," I said as I moved to sit on the bench. I turned to the woman that was with her and greeted her, but Li-Hau jumped in.

"This is my nanny Lerato, her name means love."

"Hi, Lerato," I said.

"And you're the Snow White I've heard about?" Lerato asked with a smile on her face.

"I believe so."

"Lerato came to help me cut flowers, my dad says that an adult should always help you with scissors and that you should never run with them."

Dad of the year strikes again. I smiled to myself, feeling the little pang of jealousy again. She was dressed head to toe in pink. A bright pink Adidas ensemble complete with a tutu and the cutest sneakers. 

"I like your outfit."-JJ would kill for an outfit like that. 

"Here," she said as she stepped forward to give me a white daisy. I felt a tiny lump develop in my throat. This little girl had such an effect on me.

"Thanks, it's beautiful."

"My dad says I'm not allowed to cut too many flowers because I must be environmental to the earth."

And at that, I actually burst out laughing. Who was this man? Did he also rescue stray puppies in his spare time? Feed the homeless, read to the blind. I bet he even recycled his plastics?

"Your dad's right!"

"I know. He's always right," she said holding up a mixture of white and yellow daisies in her hand.

"You should come to my birthday party next weekend," she said.

"Oh, that's very sweet of you. But I could only come if your mom and dad invited me."

"Okay. I will give you an official invitation then." She flashed me another toothy grin. "I need to put these in water," she said again before skipping off. I smiled and looked up at Lerato.

"Bundle of energy!" she said with a smile.

"I can see"-time for some intelligence gathering-"So are you just visiting?" I asked.

She nodded. "We live in Rosebank."

"Okay." I said, slightly disappointed that I wouldn't be bumping into hot Super-Dad. She was obviously visiting relatives, or family friends.

Lerato got up and followed after Li-Hao.

"See you around," I said and waved at them as they went.

I sat sipping my coffee and looking at the flowers. Strange, I'd never noticed them before. Kids always have that effect on you. They make you see the world slightly differently. I finished my coffee and went over and picked an orange one.

Of course when I went upstairs I had to regale JJ with the latest pink princess story.

"We need to find out more about this father," JJ said. "I think I'm in love."

"Stop it. You're incorrigible," Bruce snapped and shot him a look.

I laughed. "I must say I'm curious myself. If I get an invite to her party, I'll definitely go, even if it's just to lay eyes on this legend. I wonder what her mom is like? She hardly mentions her."

"Maybe she's just a daddy's girl. Like me," JJ cooed.

It was true, JJ was a full-blown "daddy's girl." His father was the one who'd encouraged him to come leaping out of the closet. Apparently he'd known his son was gay since the age of twelve. His father, at the age of sixty-seven, had even come to gay pride last year wearing a shirt that said, "Gay son's are fun!" It had garnered so much attention that a photographer had taken a photo of them that ended up in the Gay Times. The article was framed and hanging on the wall. Bruce's dad had not been so accepting-Parents! They have the power to make or break you.