Chapter 20 - Looking Back, Yet Moving Forward

Hi! Sorry it's been so long. I was on vacation (camping), and had no internet access. I tried writing while I was gone, but was pretty wrapped up in Insurgent (sequel to Divergent). I couldn't put it down. I hope you enjoy the chapter! Thanks for reading!

No pic this time.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Joey

Kristy was walking on the beach, alone. I had no idea where Lexi had gone off to, and I really didn't care. I walked down to where Kristy was.

"Hey," I said, my footsteps falling in sync with hers.

"Hi," she said, smiling.

"I'm glad you came for the wedding," I said. There were so many other things I wanted to say, but this seemed safe.

"I guess I'm glad I came, too," she said in an unconvincing tone.

"What do you mean? Do you regret it?" I asked.

"No, not really. I just get so fed up around all of you happy couples," she said.

I looked at her. She was stunning. Her loose, blonde curls were blowing in the ocean wind, and her blue eyes contained a hint of sadness. I wanted to make her happy, but I wasn't sure that I was what she needed.

"Don't be fooled," I said. "Lexi and I, well, we're not really where we should be. I guess I shouldn't really be talking about it. Just know that we're not all 'happy couples.' "

"Oh?" she said, sounding excited. Then, her tone became lower, less enthusiastic. "I mean, I'm sorry to hear that."

"It is what it is," I said, sighing afterward. "You'll find someone, you know, to love."

I was just hoping she'd give me a chance once I broke it off with Lexi.

"I dunno," she said, "sometimes it all seems so hopeless."

I laughed. "I know what you mean. It all seems like such a game."

"Yeah. All the good ones are either married or taken," she said as she stopped walking and turned to look at me.

"Really?" I asked, unable to come up with any other response.

"Mmm hmm," Kristy said, still looking at me.

Every fiber of my being was screaming, "Go for it, you dummy!" but I didn't want to ruin anything. Besides, I had to break up with Lexi first. If I didn't leave right now, I was going to kiss Kristy.

I turned around so that I was facing the beach house. "I've got to go. I'll see you at wedding tomorrow."

Looking back, I saw Kristy's mouth turned downward. Was she sad I was leaving? Maybe I shouldn't go. Maybe I should stay. "Lexi is still your girlfriend," my mind said.

I was starting to feel like a cartoon that had a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I was so conflicted.

"Yeah, I guess," she said.

I left then, and she continued her walk. It didn't take me long to make it back to the house. A wave of exhaustion washed over me as I walked up the deck stairs and through the sliding glass doors. I couldn't wait until tomorrow was over.

I was greeted with the sound of Rhia screaming Max's name and a bed hitting the wall upstairs. I guess Max's parents were babysitting. I heard another noise as well, and it seemed to be coming from the direction of mine and Lexi's room. Was it moaning?