6. Life Can Crumble To Pieces in Less Than A Second

Chapter 6

Trey

It was early in the morning when I heard a knock on the door. I was still in bed so I grabbed a shirt and pulled it on. I walked downstairs and answered the door, it was Ms. Turner, Mya's mom. She was just probably here again to ask if My and I were alright, which we weren't but I always lied and told her and my mom that we were.

"Hey Ma," I said being friendly.

"Trey ,is Mya here?" she asked with a look of worry on her face.

"Umm no, why?"

"Have you talked to her?" She asked concerned.

"Umm naw. What's wrong?"

"I haven't seen her in three days and I haven't talked to her since yesterday morning, she's not at home and she's not answering her phone which isn't like her," she said frantically.

"Come on. Calm down, I'm sure she's fine," I said this but I didn't believe it. I just had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that was telling me something horrible had happened. "Have you talked to Lance? Maybe she's with him."

"I talked to him. He's worried too, he says he hasn't seen her," she rushed out.

"Okay, she probably left for school early. I'm sure I'll see her there," I told her trying to make her worries diminish.

"Okay Trey, but once you get there if she's not there will you come back right away? Just forget about school okay?"

"Yea no problem ma, listen, she's alright okay," I tried assuring her.

"Okay. I'll see you later Trey," she said walking away from the front door. I closed the door behind her and went to my room. Where was Mya? The only thing I could think of was that her and Lance got in another fight and she needed to get away. I swear I was going to kill him; he was ruining my best friend. Because of him, she thought of me as nothing. I pulled on some jeans and a jacket. I was praying to god that I would see her at school. Ma was really worried so I hope this was Mya just being stupid. I walked out the house and out the back gate. Where the hell could she be? I was definitely starting to panic. I kept walking down the trail with only thoughts of Mya going through my mind when something caught my eye. Something had shined in the sunlight. I walked over and bent down to take a closer look. I brushed the leaves away; Panic began rushing through my body.  It was a necklace. It was Mya's necklace. The one I had gotten her so long ago, the one she always wore. She would have noticed if it had fallen off. We weren't talking and she was mad at me so maybe she had just left it behind so she could forget. Who knows? I looked at the clasp, it was broken. The necklace had been snatched off. I was definitely on full panic mode now; I turned and started back towards Mya's house. I reached the gate and hurriedly walked to the house. The door was open. I went inside.

"Ma," I yelled. I heard her run towards me.

"What Trey! What? What's wrong?"

"I found her necklace," I said holding it up.

"Trey, she loves that necklace. She would never go anywhere without it no matter what."

"I think we should call the police." I told her.

Mya

I walked in my house. My mom was sitting at the table and Trey was next to her along with his mom. What was going on? There was a knock at the door. My mom looked up. She had been crying, her eyes were red and puffy and her face was all blotchy.

"Mom what's wrong?" I said walking towards her as Trey got up to open the door. "Mom," I called out again. Why was she ignoring me?

"Trey," I called out walking to the door. There was a police officer and Trey was escorting him in.

"Trey what's going on?" I asked him, but he said nothing. Why in the hell was everybody ignoring me?

"Ma'am, I got a call to come out and take a report," the police officer stated.

"My daughter is missing," my mom stated bluntly. What was she talking about? I was right here.

"I'm right here," I yelled. "Trey, tell them I'm here. I'm sorry about what I said just tell them I'm here," I said. I wanted to cry but the tears would not fall, I felt so helpless and lonely.

“Trey tell them that I’m here. Please!” I begged but he continued to ignore me. I fell to the floor and then that's when everything came back to me. It hit with so much force that I felt like I couldn't breathe. The woods. Lance. The fight. I watched as Trey handed the officer my necklace. I brought my hand to my neck where the key pendant normally would lay. it was still there. I . . . I was dead.