Thirty Seven 👀

ZYN

I managed to find Beth rather easily, considering the other smells of death, sex, and blood. Her scent stood out like a bright ray or light.

She was in a bed room, and I could hear the voices from the other side of the door.

A man.

I was ready to rip his head off, but before I could open the door, it burst open and the fanger fell out on his bare ass.

"If I catch you or any other touching her again," Beth's voice growled as her violet eyes glowed in anger. Being in shadow, and not on the receiving end of her wrath, I was able to take in and enjoy the sight.

Protective, strong, aggressive, mmm. She is going to make the perfect mother.

I've noticed the change in her scent. I haven't mentioned it. I want her to be able to tell us and have that moment. If she doesn't find out soon, Alec will hear the heart beat.

Anyway, my attention returns when the fanger hurriedly rushes to his feet to flee.

I slowly step around the door way and see her beside her mother, wrapped in a blanket.

Her eyes are glazed over. Shit.

"Mom? Momma? Wake up from whatever spell you are under!"

"The sun is so warm," her mother smiles. Victor, or that fanger, hell any of them could have put her mind to mush.

"Beth," I speak after shifting into my skin. She quickly turns around, startled but on the defensive. She would probably have teared out my heart if I was anyone else. "I'll carry her, but we need to get out of here."

"What about Alec and Damien? Are they here too?"

"They are taking care of Victor. You and I though, we need to get away from here."

I carefully pick up her mother in my arms and we start for the nearest exit possible, the window.

"The butterflies dance on the breeze," her mother smiles up at me.

"That they do, ma'am," I reply. My eyes though remain on Beth and her worried expression. "It will take time and distance and she will be back to herself."

"They are monsters. I ... I am one of them too. How-"

"You aren't a monster," I quickly interrupt her. "You are the only light in this dark world. They are the monsters."

I see tears line her eyes, but she holds them in. I pull her as close as I can to me, while still carrying her mom. I place a gentle kiss on her cheek. "Lets get out of here," I whisper.

She nods, the tears seeming to vanish from her eyes.

Then, a horrible bone chilling chourus of howls breaks out. I can feel it pull at my chest, trying to bring me to my knees.

She gasps, grasping her chest.

What the hell was that?

"Zyn?" She looks up at me, then back towards the house we are trying to leave. The sound of snarls, glass breaking, barks and howls all mix with the continuous howl of sorrow.

"The wolves... they are attacking."

"He used them to fight each other. We need to help them!"

I quickly grab her wrist to stop her from walking back to the house. "You are a vampire. At this moment, you will be seen as an enemy, not allie."

"I don't care Zyn. He has them in the basement, in cages."

"What about your mom?"

"You can take her to the van and-"