22. The difference between men and women

Mirilya stood in front of the large mirror, turning from side to side with her hands on her bare stomach. "Unbelievable," she mumbled, shifting her hands over the rounded shape of her belly.

Loki watched her from his seat at his desk. Although she looked beautiful, especially now her pregnancy started to show more and more, he couldn't help but worry. Lady Eir kept a close eye on Mirilya and the baby and up until now the fetus was doing fine, the only thing different was the speed at which the baby was developing. The healer had told them she expected this pregnancy to be shorter than the standard of forty weeks. Not even two months in, Mirilya already looked like she was almost four months pregnant.

Loki left his work on his desk and walked over to Mirilya. He placed his hands over hers, wrapping his arms around her from behind. Her golden eyes looked at him in the mirror and he forced himself to smile. Dark rings circled her eyes and her cheeks were a little hollow.

"You should be resting, my love," he said, kissing her hair.

"It's all I ever do," she said in a whiny voice. "You are even worse than Lady Eir, you don't let me do anything!"

"I just want you to be safe. You, and the baby."

"I know," Mirilya sighed. "It's just, I get bored."

Loki put his chin on her shoulder, ignoring the fact that her bones were more present than before, and held her close.
"Have you eaten something already?" Her breakfast from this morning went back to the kitchens untouched. After their first visit to the healer the morning sickness became worse, she couldn't keep anything down. Lady Eir had given her some medicine, but it didn't help much.

"You should eat, you need your strength for the ball tonight. I can't dance with you if you are dizzy because you have not eaten," Loki said, masking the pain in his voice with a playful tone.

Lady Loriana came to visit shortly after and to Loki's relief she brought a basket with food with her.
"I thought we could picnic on the balcony," the Alfheim princess announced, holding the wicker basket up for Mirilya. Her friend peeked in the basket and was delighted about the contents.

Mirilya had told the princess about her pregnancy after Lady Eir had confirmed them the baby was growing faster than normal. The young woman needed someone other than Loki to share her feelings with and who was better than her childhood friend? Lady Frigga also kept a close eye on Mirilya, treating her already as her daughter in law.

"Now, my King, out you go," Lady Loriana said to him, shooing him off. "There will be lady talk and dressing up and some more lady talk, so we don't need you here!"

He let himself get ushered out by the ladies, but gripped the door before Loriana closed it behind him.
"Keep an eye on her, will you? Make sure she eats and rests," he said quietly to the Alfheim princess.

Loriana smiled a tight lipped smile, her eyes serious. "Don't worry, Loki. I will."

He knew the princess shared his worries, she had even talked to Mirilya about terminating the pregnancy. Loki had thought about that too, but Mirilya was determined to keep the baby. She kept repeating everything was going to be alright and she kept smiling despite the morning sickness and the drain on her energy.

Loki wandered the halls a little before he got to the throne room. The servants were busy decorating the great hall for the ball that evening. Loki spotted his mother giving instructions to a couple of men who stood on ladders to hang large banners from the ceiling. There were the familiar banners of Asgard, in red and gold, but tonight they would be accompanied by the blue, green and silver banners of Alfheim.