20. Check up

It didn't take long for the whole palace to be in turmoil. Loki ordered the Einherjar to secure the grounds and clean up the bodies of the two Jotuns.

"Search everywhere!" he barked. "I want to know how they got in!"

When he saw Brent, he sent his squire to fetch Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. "Meeting in the throne room in ten minutes, be quick about it."

As soon as everyone was set upon their tasks, he went back in Odin's room, where his mother sat next to the Allfather's bed. She stood up to hug him.

"I'm so glad you were here. If not for you, this would have ended badly."

Loki hugged his mother firmly. "It's alright now. Were you hurt?"

Frigga shook her head. "No, I'm ok. Some bruises maybe, but that's all."

She looked up at her tall son. "How come you were here? I'd thought you would be in bed already."

Loki shrugged. "Couldn't sleep. I was on my way back to my room after a visit to the stables. When I saw the ice flowers on the walls I knew there was something wrong."

"Well, you came in the nick of time, my son. You saved your father," Frigga said and put her head against his chest.

Loki tensed up. Saving a father, killing a father, if he was really honest with himself this evening could have gone different ways. To be able to kill Laufey he lured the Jotun king to Asgard; a defenseless Odin was the ultimate bait. The Frost Giant had deserved his death for abandoning his baby son and for being the reason Loki could not gift Mirilya with a child without possibly endangering her life. However, Loki had been indecisive about the exact moment to end Laufey up until the second he saw the ice dagger go down on Odin. It was not him who saved the Allfather, it was Lady Frigga. If she had not been there, talking about her sons to her husband, there might have been one more death this night.

Lady Sif and the Warriors Three were waiting in the throne room for Loki. He took a seat on the large golden throne and looked down upon the four warriors.
"My friends," he spoke solemnly, "Jotunheim has again penetrated Asgard's defenses. This time it almost cost my father his life."

"It was a good thing you were there, my King," Volstagg said with a nod of his head.

"Yes, how convenient," Lady Sif remarked coldly.

"Something on your mind, my lady?" Loki glared at her, yet she did not cast her eyes down.

She was about to answer when Fandral stepped forward. "What do you want us to do, my King?"

Loki looked at the insolent female warrior a little longer before he shifted his gaze to Fandral. "I want you four to go to Jotunheim. With Laufey gone, the realm is likely to fall into chaos. I want you to assess the situation and if possible take control. But be careful, they are not to be trusted."

"Do you want us to find out how they got into Asgard, my King?" Fandral asked.

"It would be helpful if you can find the portal, yes. But that is not the main priority, I don't expect another attack now their leader is dead. I want you to be my eyes and ears overthere. For the safety of the Nine Realms we need Jotunheim to be subdued."

"You can count on us, my King," Volstagg spoke, bringing his fist up to his chest. The other warriors did the same, even Lady Sif, although she clearly was angry.

Loki inclined his head at the warriors. "I knew I could, my friends. Report back to me in a couple of days. I wish you safe travels."

When everything was arranged and the palace was back to its usual peace and quiet for the night, Loki went back to his rooms. He found Mirilya still asleep in his bed, oblivious of what had happened. Loki climbed into bed and put an arm around his love. Nuzzling her neck and shoulders, he inhaled deeply.