15. News

Loki woke the next morning and rolled over to cuddle up to Mirilya, only to find the space next to him in bed empty. Frowning, he propped himself up on his elbow. On the table by the window was their breakfast, but Mirilya was nowhere to be seen. Normally, if she was the first to get out of bed, she crawled back in after she picked up their breakfast from the kitchens. Suddenly, he heard some sounds from the bathroom that made him sprint out of bed.

"Mirilya, are you alright?" he called as he opened the door. He found her hunched over the toilet and hurried to her side. Loki took her face in his hands, strands of hair clung to the sweat on her forehead. "Are you unwell? Shall I call for the healer?"

She shook her head and wiped her mouth with her hand. "No, I was just feeling nauseous. I think it's over now..."

Loki stood up and got her a glass of water. He handed it to her and wiped her face with a wet cloth.
"Maybe it's a stomach bug. Let's get you back to bed." He took the glass from her and helped her up.

When she was propped up in the pillows and covered by the blanket, he asked if she'd like some tea.

"No, that's what started it in the first place," she said, scrunching her nose up.

"The tea made you nauseous?" Loki picked up the teapot and opened the lid to smell the contents. "It's just tea with spices, cinnamon and apple I think."

"Ugh, please put it away. That cinnamon makes my stomach churn." Mirilya pulled the blankets over her nose to get away from the smell.

"Just a glass of water, then?" Loki put the teapot away and filled a glass of water from the tap. He took a seat on the edge of the bed and gave his love a worried look.
"You better stay in bed. I'll ask Liselore to look after you today. I'm sure she can spare some time for you while tending to Lady Loriana."

"Wouldn't it be better if I went to my own room then?" Mirilya asked a bit alarmed. "What will Liselore think if I'm in your bed?"

"She will think you're sick and that you need your rest," Loki answered and caressed her cheek. "Don't worry. Liselore is not one to gossip. Better her than Irina," he chuckled.

When Loki was ready to start his day and open court, he instructed his squire Brent to inform Liselore. "Your sister is sick and will stay in my room. Ask Liselore to look after her today."

"Yes, my king," Brent replied with a nod of his head, but he couldn't keep his mixed emotions from flashing over his face.

"Something wrong, Brent?" Loki looked at his squire with a stern face. The young man surely had some thoughts about his sister and the king, but Loki didn't want to hear them.

"No, my king. I'll inform Liselore," Brent said quickly and went on his way.

Loki had a full docket today, he spent the whole morning listening to one petitioner after another and in the afternoon he had a meeting with the war council of Asgard. The war council was formed by the two representatives of Alfheim and Vanaheim, along with the Warriors Three, Lady Sif, and two other seasoned warriors, Lord Gurdan and Lord Walverling. Together with the king that made 9 people, one for each realm.

"Everything is quiet in the realms, my King. The shock of the Allfather going into Odinsleep has worn off and things have settled down again," Lord Gurdan said with his baritone voice. He had a big belly that served as a sound box for his deep voice. The Lord's days on the battlefield were over, but he still oversaw the training program for young warriors and was a well respected man throughout the troops.

"Even Jotunheim is quiet," general Walverling added. "Perhaps too quiet."

"Well, it's all rocks and ice there, they don't have much to make a fuss about," Fandral quipped, while cleaning his fingernails with a small dagger. The others ignored his comment, they knew better than to react to his jokes.