7. Lovers

The couple was disturbed by a knock on the door, which made Mirilya jump in his arms. Loki chuckled and gave her a quick kiss before he released her. 

"To be continued," he said, to which the young woman showed a coy smile. He gently pushed her in the direction of the door so she could open it while he put on some clothes. When he came out of his changing room, buttoning up his tunic, Gervais was waiting for him. The squire quickly glanced from his master to the handmaiden, whose rosy cheeks stood out against her porcelain skin, but said nothing. 

 "How's the princess?" Loki asked, barely holding back his grin.

"She's well, my Lord, the battle never reached the throne room. Lord Hergund took her back to her chambers."

"Good," Loki replied, satisfied that the princess was safe.

"My Lord," Gervais said with some hesitation, "I actually wanted to come see you after the coronation. There is something you should know."

"Well, the coronation is over for today and you're here now. Tell me."

The squire looked at the open door to the bathroom, where Mirilya was cleaning up. "I think I should tell you in private, my Lord."

Loki magically shut the door to the bathroom, causing Mirilya to let out a soft shriek, and stepped closer to Gervais. "Tell me. What do you know?"

"It's about the princess and Lord Hergund," he said in a hushed voice. "I... I saw them kiss, my Lord."

Loki took a moment to reflect on Gervais's words. It wasn't a surprise to him, but he had to be sure. "You saw them?"

"Yes, my Lord. Late last night, after dinner. I had already left, but I had forgot something so I came back. When I turned the last corner I saw them, standing before her room."

"Did they see you?"

Gervais shook his head. "I don't think so, my Lord."

Loki thanked his squire and dismissed him, opening the bathroom door with his magic again. Behind it stood a wide eyed Mirilya. "You're not afraid of a little magic, are you?" Loki chuckled as he held out his hand to her.

"No," she said slowly, eyeing him suspiciously as she walked up to him. He smiled at her to reassure her and it wasn't before long that she smiled back.

He took her hand, but held her at an arm's length. "I want to ask you something and I need you to tell me the truth. Will you do that?"

"Yes, my Lord, of course." She looked a little nervous, but maintained eye contact, which made Loki believe she had no intention to lie.

"Lady Loriana is your friend, is she not?"

Mirilya nodded fervently. "She is, we grew up together. My mother was her wet nurse and nanny."

"Then why did you kiss the man your friend is supposed to marry?" Loki asked in a serious tone, looking at her intensely. The young woman gasped at his question and tried to pull her hand away from his, but he didn't let go of her. When he saw her eyes glisten with tears, he realised she was scared of him, afraid of what would happen if she answered. He pulled her closer and put his hand to her cheek again, softly stroking her skin. "I didn't mean to scare you, darling. I'm sorry." She looked at him, fear and doubt still visible in her face, so he put his arms around her, stroking her back until he felt her relax against him.

He led her to his bed and made her sit on the edge before he sat down next to her. "You can tell me anything, Mirilya, I will not get mad at you." He squeezed her hand to reassure her and she nodded slightly.
"I have a theory and you can tell me whether I'm right or wrong." Mirilya didn't answer, so Loki continued. "You kissed me, because you know Lady Loriana doesn't want me anyway. She already has a lover. Is that true?"