9. The prince and the handmaiden

After dinner, which was filled with tensed silences, unspoken thoughts and fake pleasantries, Loki was glad to return to his chambers. He tossed his heavy leather coat aside, wearing light pants and a shirt after a green ripple of light passed over his body.
Lord Hergund had been glaring at him the whole time, Loki guessed the Lord wasn't as easy with his trust as the princess. But he expected Lady Loriana to plead in his favor with her lover, so the angry glares would soon diminish.

Thor had been uncharacteristically silent during dinner, picking his food and also sending out angry glares. But his were aimed at their father, who didn't say a single word during dinner. So it was left to Loki, Lady Frigga and Lady Loriana to keep the conversation going. Once the women found their common ground in discussing the growth of certain herbs, Loki could sit back and finish his dinner in peace.

He found his chambers made ready for the night, a low fire burning in the heart, but Mirilya was nowhere to be seen. Loki thought briefly about going over to her room, across the hall, when he saw two feet dangling over the armrest of one of the large chairs by the fireplace. He silently walked to the chair and discovered a sleeping Mirilya curled up in it. On her chest was the book he gave her earlier. Carefully he took the book away and put it aside. She woke up when he knelt down next to her and kissed her brow.

"Oh! You're here!" she exclaimed, jolting upright. "Did I fall asleep?"

"I believe you did." Loki lifted her from the chair so he could sit in the large chair with the young woman straddling his lap. "This is a nice surprise," he grinned.

"I was waiting for you," she said shyly, her cheeks turning pink again.

Loki leaned over to kiss her, his hands on her hips. She eagerly answered his kisses, putting her arms around his neck. Soft kisses soon turned into heated ones, full of promise for more. Loki slid his hands under her dress, caressing the soft skin of her legs before he firmly grasped her bottom to press her flush against him. She gasped softly when he kissed the soft skin of her throat, trailing down to her cleavage. The young woman gazed deep into his eyes as she slowly unbuttoned the top of her dress for him, exposing her breasts.

"You are divine," Loki breathed against her throat, resuming his exploration of her bared skin with his lips. He felt the heat between her thighs pressed against him as he turned his attention to her breasts. Without words he stood up from the chair, lifting Mirilya up with him and walked swiftly to the bed.

That night she gave herself to him, truly and without holding back. He was mesmerized by her beauty, the softness of her skin and the loving gazes she bestowed upon him. Her willingness to surrender herself to him almost frightened Loki, it gave him the feeling he had to take care of her, protect her at all cost. He didn't know what to protect her from, from himself or from the world, all he knew was that he would do it, no matter what. The girl in his arms had found a way to his heart.

Loki woke up early, like he always did, and brown curls tickled his nose. Mirilya's unruly hair was spread all over the pillow, the young woman still sound asleep. He watched her angelic face, she looked so innocent, free of all the cares in the world. She had made him forget about his cares too, as he made love to her last night. Or as she made love to him, because that was the feeling he got from her, he felt truly loved by her. He closed the small distance between their naked bodies, putting his arm around her, nuzzling the soft skin behind her ear. She made small contented noises before she opened her eyes to look at him.

"Good morning, my love," Loki whispered, nibbling her ear. "Did you sleep well?"

"Mmm, I did," she smiled, wriggling in his arms in an attempt to get even closer. "Shouldn't I be getting you breakfast, my Lord?" she teased, running her finger down his nose to his lips.