8. Matters of the heart

After leaving Thor and his friends in the West wing, Loki went to visit princess Loriana. She was expecting him, as Mirilya had announced Loki's arrival. Loki had asked his handmaiden to go over to the princess for some girltalk. "Warm her up to me," he had instructed Mirilya earlier. "Surely you can tell her some positive things about me?"

And now Loki found himself looking at the two Alfheim women, one much more beautiful to him than the other. Lord Hergund went to the training grounds with Gervais, so it was just the two ladies. 

"Will you join me for a walk in the garden, my Lady?" Loki asked courteous. "I'm sure the attack of this morning was quite unsettling for you. I want to show you a more beautiful side of Asgard."

To his pleasure, the princess agreed, taking only Mirilya with her to chaperon her. Loki chuckled softly to himself when he thought how the handmaiden was actually the one who needed a chaperon to go out with him.
Loki turned on the charm, chatting with Lady Loriana about various topics, slowly making her relax in his company. The princess turned out to be quite the botanist, who could teach Loki a thing or two about the various plants and flowers in the palace gardens. 

"My mother would love to spend some time in the greenhouse with you, my Lady," Loki said to Loriana.

"I'm sure I can make some time for the Queen in the upcoming weeks," the princess answered as Loki guided her to a nearby park bench that looked out over a pond. Loki sat down next to her, making sure he sat close, but not too close. He glanced behind him and winked at Mirilya, who had been following them at a discreet distance the whole time.

"Yes, you will be staying here for quite some time, my Lady," Loki said amicially. "You must miss your family, luckily you have Lord Hergund with you to keep you company."

"Yes, he's a good friend," Loriana answered with a smile.

"What does he think about you getting married off to a stranger?" he asked, keeping his tone light as if he were making a joke.

"Strangers are strangers until they meet, my Lord."

"Wise words, my Lady. However, I would really like to know your feelings towards an arranged marriage. And Lord Hergund's, for that mather," Loki pushed a little.

"I can't speak for Lord Hergund. As for me, I respect the Allfather's wishes," the princess said with a serene smile. Loki would have liked to rattle her by the shoulders, but instead he kept a polite and confidential demeanor.

"Don't you want to marry out of love?" he asked softly, leaning forward with his arms on his knees, so he had to look at the princess from the side.

Lady Loriana opened her mouth for an answer, probably as polite and fitting as the others, but reconsidered. She looked closely at his face, studying the emotions she saw there. "I'd love to, my Lord, but that is not always possible," she eventually said quietly.

"Why? Lord Hergund is a high nobleman, isn't he? His rank should be sufficient enough to marry the youngest daughter of a king." His reply shocked the princess and her hand flew up to cover her mouth. When she wanted to get up, Loki gently held her down. "Don't worry princess, your secret is safe with me. I don't mean you any harm. I'd much rather save you from a marriage that kept you away from the man you truly loved." 

Her eyes watered up and Loki magicked a handkerchief out of his pocket, catching the princess a little off guard with the green lights it caused. Seeing her mistress distraught, Mirilya had come closer, kneeling down next to Lady Loriana. She didn't say anything, she just put a hand on her knee, letting her know she was there for support.

"How did you know?" the princess asked when she had pulled herself together again.

"I could see the love between you," Loki said courteously. "The eyes don't lie."