16. Gossip

Throughout the next week the Alfheim princess and her guardian were the talk of the palace. Although Loki had made sure he was seen with them multiple times, the people continued to gossip about the fact that the princess had chosen her guardian over the king of Asgard.

"I need your advice, mother," Loki called out when he walked briskly into his mother's sitting room without knocking.
She still lived in the same rooms as she had always done when Odin sat on the throne. Technically, Loki had the right to the King's chambers now, but he didn't want to kick his mother out. His own rooms were more than sufficiënt, and he loved the view from his balcony.

Lady Frigga sat on one of the sofa's, her knitting in her lap. Across from her sat her friend, holding a round frame with fabric for needlepointing.

"Excuse me, Lady Brigitta, I didn't realise my mother had company."

"No problem, my King, we were just keeping each other company while we keep our hands busy. Shall I leave?" His mother's friend already got up and started gathering her things.

"Please stay, my lady. Perhaps you could be of advice too." Loki gestured for her to sit down again, which she eagerly did, her interest peaked.

"What do you need the advice of two middle-aged ladies for, my son?" Lady Frigga asked amused.

"Matters of love, of course. What else?" Loki answered with a big grin. He knew better than to discuss his love life with a notorious gossip like Lady Brigitta, but the more she thought it a personal matter to the king, the more invested she would be. As of yet, both ladies put down their crafting work and scooted forward in their seats to listen to what he had to say.

"Princess Loriana is devastated by the way people are talking about her. Of course I could order them to stop, but I don't think that would have the desired effect. I hoped you would have a better idea to put a stop to those nasty rumours. I hate to see Lady Loriana get hurt like this." Actually, Loki thought she just needed to develop a thicker skin, but Mirilya felt sorry for her friend.

"They have turned rather hurtful indeed," Lady Frigga said thoughtfully. "They say the princess is insulting Asgard with her choice of lover."

"And that's just a nice way of putting it," her friend remarked, arching her eyebrows.

Loki was well aware of all the mean things that were being said. Brent had befriended some of the maids, including Irina, and heard a lot of gossip that way. Loki had asked the squire to keep him informed of any new stories that surfaced and the squire was happy to oblige, his allegiance to Alfheim making him more than willing to help defend the princess. He had also warned his sister and even Loki himself that there were talks of Mirilya sleeping with the king. 'The king's little whore' had one of the slop jockeys in the kitchen so foolishly called her. Brent had thrown the stupid boy halfway across the room for insulting his sister. Needless to say, the cook hired a new help the next day.

"How could we turn things around?" Loki asked, looking from one lady to another. "I've been on a couple of outings with the princess and Lord Hergund, but somehow that didn't convey the message that I approve of their relationship."

"Maybe that's because you only encountered a limited amount of people on those outings, my King," Lady Brigitta suggested. "You need to reach out to a wider audience."

"You are right," the Allmother replied to her friend and then turned back to Loki. "Perhaps we could organise a ball in honour of the Alfheim guests?"

Loki rubbed his hand across his chin, looking thoughtful. "I had thought of that, but it seemed a bit indelicate to have a feast when... father is in Odinsleep." The word 'father' did not leave his mouth that easily, but Lady Brigitta would probably attribute his hesitation to feeling sad about Odin's condition.