Chapter 4 : The Worst Punishment Ever

Chapter 4 :

Word spread around here fast because around lunch everyone knew that I got the lead role. They found it surprising that some unpopular lowly freshmen was selected.

Truth to be told, I myself was shocked. Now dont get me wrong, I was excited and happy but there was this weird feeling I had. And now matter how much I ignored it, it was directed to Drake Sullivan. That guy was eying me all day with such crazy gaze that I knew something was up. Like I was some new barbie doll and he was planning how to dress me up.

Dale also got a role, he was some supportive character. To my dismay he didn't seem a least bit bothered by the fact that he wasn't the romeo as if he never expected to be.

The thing bothering me was the unnecessary attention by everyone, it looked like I had became some celebrity all of the sudden and it was strange experience for me. I was not used to this stuff, the gazes people gave you and when you become topic of their conversation. Being acknowledged was one thing but this - it was something entirely different.

''I can tell that Mr Wonka is totally impressed with you.''

Dyaln was saying as we sat at the back of the bus. We always sat at the back of the bus because the front was filled with huge bulky seniors and they creep-ed me out to no extent. I would have sit there but no thanks, I had already experienced the shitty experience of talking to a bully and it resulted in a sore cheek.

I was flattered with Dylan's comments but this seemed to grow old by now. He was always complimenting me like a fan girl.

''Yeah but you are brilliant too _''

''It's not about me Allyson, I mean you are such a good actor and all.'' I threw him a flat look but he was just babbling about my skills like I was a legend. This was not as enjoyable as people will think. In fact if Dale would had been sitting here in my place he would be oh so pleased about getting compliments about every other move.

It was not that I disliked Dylan or anything in fact he was one of the sweetest person I had met but this was getting a bit annoying.

''You didn't even saw me acting.'' I muttered more to myself but Dylan caught it and he stopped,

''Y-yeah, I meant that you are not cocky and maybe you had luck and all, ha ha.'' He laughed nervously and looked away.

''I dont know much about acting but yeah I guess it was luck.'' I mumbled again and the bus stopped, I said goodbye to Dylan and got off the bus. This was the time I had been dreading since morning because mom was going to tell me the punishment. I was already wondering what hell would I be facing? Would she ask me clean Dale's toilet?

Ew, that would be scarier than paranormal activity. Even though Paranormal Activity was not that scary unless you are Daniel. When him, me and Carmen saw it at night in his house he was screaming like a maniac and it even woke up Mrs Cattermole who thought that some burglars attacked us.

Nevertheless I walked in, mom was out of sight. This was a good chance to make an escape. I tiptoed my way to the stairs wishing mom would not see me. I knew that the so called punishment won't do me any good.

''Allyson wait there.''

Shoot! Looked like luck was not at my side, but then again when ever was it by my side uh?Mom's voice was all businesslike and snappy, she was still mad at me. Figures.

I realized it was my mistake but for heaven sake! It was Dale's skateboard, mom was acting like I stole her makeup and fed it to stray cats. Today was such a dramatic day all I wanted was to get some sleep for my life's sake. She was standing between me and the staircase hands on her hips,

''Yeah?''

''Sit down here I want to have a chitchat.'' She replied smiling sweetly at me, it was professor Umbridge's kind of smile so I knew something was definitely wrong here. I just silently prayed that the ''punishment'' won't make things worse for me.

''Can we talk later? I am so tired right now.'' I pulled on my puppy dog face but she just narrowed her eyes at me. Guess my puppy dog face was not as appealing as normal human beings. Either I was ugly or mom had a bad sight.

''Allyson, sit down at once!'' I looked at her with a irritated expression, couldn't she tell I was about to pass out but instead of insisting I slumped on the nearest sofa.

''Wait! What happened to your cheek?'' Oh no, not again. I was sick of lying now because since morning I had told so many lies that I was waiting for my nose to grow like Pinocchio.

''Um I got hit by basketball.''

''You sure?''

''Yeah...'' I mumbled rubbing my cheek. ''So what do want to talk about?'' I asked her even though I was more than aware.

''I want to tell you about the punishment I decided for your inappropriate actions.''

''My inappropriate actions mom? Do you consider calling a girl Lesbian in front of other people appropriate.'' I snorted at her remark, everyone thought I was a bad guy here and Dale was innocent. To me it was like called a shark a pet animal.

''Allyson, we already went over this''

''Yeah and you already sided over Dale.''

''Because your actions were quite too far gone.''

''Yeah and call_''

''You should have called him something too then, but destroying that skateboard was a bit far for you!'' She sounded angry and it shut me up for a while. This was the most unjustified and one sided trail ever.

''Okay then go on.''

''Well, the skateboard you damaged was very costly, Dale worked for months to get some money and buy it and now you will have to pay him the amount.''

Now that freaked me out, as far as I remembered I did not had any treasure hidden in my closet. We didn't lived in some story where you go and loot the pirates, not that I would have been able to loot a pirates if they actually existed. 

''And how exactly I am going to do that?''

''Job.'' Now this was what I called, going out a bit far. She seriously expected me to accept that! Work your butt out for a devil, this was the worst punishment in the history of mankind.

''Job? Seriously mom, are you crazy or what?'' She narrowed her eyes at me, looking all scary and creepy.

''Do it or I will kick you out of the house, I am serious.'' Oh yes she was serious, when I was seven I once punched a girl in my class and refused to apologize to her parents so mom kicked me out and refused to let me come in unless it got past twelve. After suffering for hours I finally swallowed my ego and apologized. Such crazy the woman aka my biological mother was.

''But Dale he - its his fault to I ju_''

''Allyson please, I already found a job, look this is not easy, its serious. Dale worked his butt off to purchase that skateboard and you damaged his hard work'.'

''Kick me out but I won't work for that jerk.'' Crossing my arms stubbornly I glanced at my mother who gave me one of her creepy grins.

''You don't have a choice Allyson, if you don't do it, I will sell all your books for the money.'' A grasp escaped my lips and I looked at my mother with a  horrified expression.

''You won't.''

''Try me.'' She said with a victorious smile.

I let my head slump down in my arms. This was crazy, and not to mention totally unjustified! I would murder Dale in his sleep for sure. My books were my lifelines, my oxygen, my food, my life source, the love of my life (I mean the non-living love), my everything!

''Where is this job supposed to be?'' I asked her moodily and her smile grew wider. If she was planning on making me work as a mechanic I was going to run away from home.

''The Ice Cream parlor downtown, what was its name again...yeah! Frosts and Cons.''

She didn't meant the same place where Dale publicly humiliated me, did she? Oh tell me it was a dream. I had to work selling rubber ice-creams in that damned pathetic excuse for a cafe/parlor whatever it was, Now this was exactly what I called ''Being Doomed''. Even Harry Potter received a better punishment than me, if you call writing ''I must not tell lies' on the back of your hand with blood a cool punishment.

Now why the heck was I thinking about Harry Potter at times like this? While I had been announced a death sentence aka the worst punishment ever.