Chapter 41

Kaijou's campus is beautiful. It's not as new as Seirin. It's still just as pretty, with a huge number of students flooding its hall and some rather fancy looking uniforms. "Haicchi, you came!" Ryouta's voice echoes across the gym. "Haaaaaicchiiiii-ssu!"

My feet suddenly leave the floor as the blond engulfs me in a hug, pulling me off my feet in his enthusiasm. "R-Ryouta!" My voice cracks from surprise. "Let me go!" He doesn't drop me for another couple minutes despite my protests. "What, did you think I'd go back on my word?"

The blond boy only laughs nervously, scratching the back of his head, before a kick out of nowhere sends him crashing into me. We both tumble to the ground in a tangle of awkward limbs. "Kasamatsu-senpai! That was mean!"

"R-Ryou, get off! You're h-heavy!" It takes energy to get out from under Ryouta's weight, especially with the grinding foot of what I can only assume is the team captain. "Kasamatsu, huh? Pleased to meet you."

"Haicchi, help me-ssu!" I raise an eyebrow as he grabs my ankle.

"You should not be grabbing that one." I say flatly. "Besides, you just fell on top of me. I don't really feel like it~!"

"Nice to meet you. Kasamatsu Yukio. I'm the team captain. Has Kise always been this impossible?" Kasamatsu has very, very blue eyes. It's a little shocking, to be honest. I offer him a smile. His hands are shaking slightly, although I'm not sure why.

"I'm Alex Heights. Please call me Hai." I glance down at the blond as he brushes himself off. "Yeah, he's kinda always been like this. Isn't that right, Kise-san?"

"That's just cruel, Haicchi!" Ryou whines. I snicker. Maybe I have a sadistic streak. I pat his head.

"There, there, Mr. Kise." I say with mock sympathy. "It's okay to cry. Maybe it isn't, actually. Don't cry, Mr. Kise!"

"Crue-" Kasamatsu's foot sends him flying once more. "Kasamatsu-senpai! You're enabling her-ssu! Haicchi help me out!"

"Fine, fine, since you asked so nicely." I say cheerily. A grin coats my face as I offer him a hand. "Upsie daisy." The blond bounces to his feet. "Anyway, I'm just here to watch. See you, Ryou. It was great meeting you, Kasamatsu."

"Before you go, I have questions for you." I can't help the surprise that coats my face. I can't even refuse.

"Of course." My surprise shows. Ryouta tries to intervene, objecting immediately, but I wave him off. "No, Ryouta, it's fine. I don't have any issue answering questions for Kasamatsu." The blue-eyed captain seems to be hiding a grin.

"Do you call everyone by their first name?" Ah, is that jealousy I hear? I shrug.

"I call the people I respect most by their first names. Mostly my former teammates." The green-eyed monster seems to die down. "Although I'm half surprised it hasn't gotten my killed. It's a leftover thing from my..." I can't really call it home. "I guess birthplace is the right word."

"You played with Kise?" Kasamatsu's voice is surprised, his eyes wide and seemingly startled. Slowly, I nod.