Chapter 36

Blond hair comes into view as I slide off my apron. My manager, Ms. Kawada, is out of the office but due back in the next ten minutes. My shift ended maybe ten minutes ago, but I'm more than willing to watch the store until she comes back. I owe her that much for constantly having to miss work and still being employed. She's too kind for her own good, and I can't help but feel that I'm exploiting that.

"Haicchi! I thought you'd be here-ssu!" I look at the blond in surprise.

"Ryouta? How'd you find out I work here?" I say with shock. The blond kind of giggles in his own way, although I suppose it's more of a laugh than a giggle.

"I remembered the name of the this place since you always brought sweets for Murasakibaracchi after you got off work, and Aominecchi didn't really know where you were." Ryouta says with his usual model grin. "I wanted to see you-ssu!" I raise an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Somehow that seems slightly creepy, Mr. Kise." I say with all the politeness of a complete stranger. Ryouta pales and gives me the same look a kicked puppy would.

"Haicchi, that's so cruel." He says with a childish whine. I raise an eyebrow.

"Really, Mr. Kise? Sorry to have upset you~!" I try to hide the smile that's threatening to tear my deadpan expression apart. Believe me when I say I adore this kid, but he's just too easy to tease. His expressions are top notch.

"You're so mean to me, Haicchi!" Ryouta says as childishly as always. "Ryouta! Call me Ryouta, or at least drop the '-san', okay-ssu?" I can't help but laugh.

"Sorry, Ryouta, it's just that you're so fun to tease." I reply with a grin to Ryouta's still pouting face. "Sorry, sorry. Your reactions are just too precious."

The bubbly blond grins at me. "Anyway-"

"I'm back!" Ms. Kawada chirps as the bell attached to the door chimes like crystals. "Oh, Hai-chan, who is this?" Ms. Kawada is tall, with long hair that reaches her waist, and square bangs. Her eyes, as per usual, are large and curious and alive. Long fingers entangle with each other.

"This is one of my former classmates and teammates, Kise Ryouta." I say cheerily. "He's practically the sweetest human being I've ever met. Ryouta, this is my boss, Ms. Kawada. She always puts up with me." The two bow and exchange greetings.

"Hai-chan, why don't you take some of the things in the back? There's a box already full, so just take one." Ms. Kawada says cheerfully.

"Oh, thanks!" I reply with a smile. I take one of four boxes. "See you!" I don't bother to open the box as I walk out with Ryouta matching me step for step. "Anyway, why'd you come to see me? I don't think anything you have is remotely close to the bakery."

The park comes into view and I, being the child I am, stride for the swing set. It's a little late in the day, and although usually children are still all over this place, there's only a few in sight. I plop down into the swings. The pink box is opened gingerly as Ryouta sits on the swings beside me. "Score! I got cookies and pastries! No cake though. Satsuki will be disappointed. Do you want any, Ryouta?" I offer the blond the box as I munch on the biggest sugar cookie I've seen in my life.

It's the good stuff, too, not that chalky crap we got in the States that had a thousand pounds of whipped fat or frosting or something on top. Ms. Kawada is a fantastic baker, and while I mostly just handle the counter, I'm half decent at doing menial jobs. I'm getting better, though! The cookie is melting in my mouth. Ryouta politely declines my sugared deliciousness since he must keep his "model figure." I laugh in response and take another bite of cookie.

As we sit in the cooling air (thankfully), Ryouta flips open his phone a few times before looking at me directly. "How was your date with Aominecchi?" He asks in a chirpy voice. I choke violently on cookie bits. It takes about two minutes to get everything back to normal before I look at the blond with wide eyes.