Chapter 26

There are a few things that surpass the comfort of my futon. One is Tetsuya's bed, which is fluffy and wonderful and warm (I promise I found that out by accident and not by being a complete weirdo). Another is the hugs that Ryouta and Atsushi gave me on a daily basis. But that which surpasses all of those is what I'm experiencing now. The tall, grumpy, ill-mannered Daiki provides all the comfort I need.

My head rests against his chest as I sit between his legs, reclining against him as the TV prattles on and on about a new drama. I wonder if Daiki can feel the way my heartbeat is steady and unafraid. I wonder if he knows that I can tell his pulse is just a little faster than normal. Daiki rests his chin on the top of my head and wraps his arms around me. I make a noise of contentment, relaxing the tension that keeps me alert.

We have unexpected rain today, and it roars against the windowpanes, screaming across my balcony. I'm just glad to be inside. Twenty minutes ago Daiki and I stumbled through the door, dripping all across my floors. I'm still half-soaked, trying to suppress the shivers that race down my spine. "Go take a bath." Daiki mutters as I burrow into him more thoroughly. I make a dying animal noise that hopefully voices my displeasure in all ways possible. "Take it," He groans as I cling to him. "or I'll go in and take one with you."

I groan loudly. "Daiki, you're so mean to me." It takes me a long while to shuffle to the bedroom, stripping off my socks and my jacket and half my shirt before grabbing my sleepwear and a towel.

"Your shirt is see-through, Alex!" Daiki calls as I waltz into the bathroom.

"Thanks for mentioning it earlier, Daiki!" I hiss through the door, irritation threatening to make me snap at him. I don't like moving when I'm cold. I'd rather just curl up against him and steal his body heat, but that's apparently not an option.

The water of the shower is nothing short of scalding as it washes over my head. It's good like this, I think. It brings a sense of warmth flowing back into my veins. The air seems increasingly cool around me. As I towel off, the mirror only offers me a blurred mixture of colors instead of my reflections. I look down hesitantly as I towel off, mainly to dry my legs, but notice the four short lines that are very pink and very bold. I wince visibly before slipping into my sleepwear.

"Daiki, you can shower now and stuff." I say as I open the door, a cloud of steam exploding into the hall in my wake. Daiki merely raises an eyebrow, staring at me and my steam in what I'll pretend is wonder.

"How could you even breathe with that much steam?" He asks as I wrap the towel around my hair and slump into the sofa. I shrug.

"I didn't really notice it." I say sheepishly. Daiki vanishes into the bathroom with some clothes and hopefully a towel before I turn the TV on again. Channel surfing is not one of my strong points, but boredom drives me to pursue it. My stomach rumbles, so I try to decide whether to cook or order takeout. The latter seems much more promising, and much faster, so I order takeout and write a note to myself as a reminder to apologize to my boss for all my missed days of work since joining basketball. 

Today I'm not at basketball practice. This is one of my many future softball-days, and being introduced to so many new people with new names that I haven't entirely memorized is a little stressful. Coach Wantanabe is much more relaxed than my previous coach, and he actually teaches and gives feedback, instead of screaming at me. 

My throw downs aren't quite as good as they used to be, but there isn't much to improve. After a few throws, I'm back in the swing of things, watching how my new teammates interact with each other. They all seem friendly and sweet, like Mizuki and Haruna and Kagome were. Thankfully, they're also very much relaxed. Not in a bad way, mind you. Teiko girls tended to play because they wanted to say they did or because they wanted to win. Touou girls still want to win, it's probably what holds this team together in some ways, but they also know how to joke around and have fun. I haven't been a part of a team like this in a few years.