Chapter 28

My chest aches as I slip from the locker room, unnoticed as always. Shintarou promised to make sure my stuff doesn't get moved, but he'll probably forget. Seijuurou is more likely to keep track of my belongings. I'm half ashamed of relying on these kids, these near-strangers, but it's not something I can help. I'm required to meet someone right now, and it doesn't help that I can't let the others know, even though I want their advice. "I thought I was going to have to drag you out." A voice calls icily as I round the corner of the hallway, searching for the exit. My body stiffens against my will. 

"Haizaki." I say frostily. "What do you want with me?" I do my best to keep my face calm and collected, like always, but Haizaki has terrified me since he wouldn't take my "no" for a no. The feel of his hands on my skin still sends shudders down my spine and makes me itch to bathe myself in bleach. 

"Quit the basketball team." He says flatly. "You can't play. I won't let you. You and that blond kid- neither of you should play! I'm going to get my spot back!" My pulse is racing. 

"I refuse. I want to play." I don't see what's used to push the air from my lungs, but I suddenly can't breathe. The hand around my throat is getting tighter and tighter, and my ankle is bending in ways it shouldn't be. "St--"

"Shhh. Everything will stop in a few minutes." My nails lacerate my throat as I try to pry his hand away. My ankle is nothing but pain, and my knee is threatening to collapse in ways unnatural. My scream is lodged in my throat, unable to escape. The sudden flair of agony from my ankle confirms that it's been broken. "Stop moving, you stupid-" 

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?" A voice calls. Daiki? My mind is hazy and I can't see anymore. Warmth trickles down from my neck, and my skin burns where my nails have clawed.

"Hai-chan!" What are they doing here? They'll just get hurt! I can't breathe, I can't think, I can't feel. Everything is starting to slip when the purple-type giant picks up the ashen-haired teen like a doll. I can hear something snipping in the background, and two pairs of hands helping me to my feet, even though I know they won't hold me. 

"Haicchi, is this where you went off to-ssu? You should've said something!" If only the blond knew why I was here. 

"Ryouta, Shintarou, Tetsuya, take Alex back to the locker room. Daiki, Atsushi, and I will take care of this one." Sei's voice is as frigid and commanding as his personality allows. Two red eyes assess my blank and somewhat stunned expression. I wonder why everything is starting to feel cold. "Ryouta, call an ambulance." 

I'm being carried and it hurts and I still can't breathe, but I know enough to realize that Teiko is somehow protecting me, and that this is dangerous for them. I try to cough up a warning, but my throat won't make any noise. 

I can't see anything after a while. I just want to doze off and go home and ask my parents what's for dinner. Unfortunately, none of that works out for me. When I next see things, I'm sitting in a hospital bed, wondering where I am and how I got here. The heart monitor goes crazy as I try to escape the clutches of the IV, but needles and blood have never been things I've handled all that well. 

"Look at me, Alex." Red eyes. Yes, I see red eyes that won't let everything slip away from me. "You're fine. You're in the hospital. In a few minutes, the nurse is going to come in, probably with the doctor. You need to calm down. Do you understand?" I nod. "If I had known you were going to see that... person, I would not have let you leave. Why didn't you say anything?" 

"Couldn't." I croak. "Didn't want teammates to get hurt." Sei's eyes widen comically. 

"Explain your reasoning." We're interrupted by the nurse and the doctor that follows him in. I'm allowed to go home, that's good, but I'll only be a burden to Tetsuya's parents. When the nurse and doctor leave, I do my best to explain myself.