Chapter 31

There's some commotion in the living room, and the only reason I'm even going to wander in is because I've just gotten off work, and I have a ton of leftover treats. I suppose it would be best to change out of my uniform as well.

"I'm home." I say as I slip off my shoes.

"Welcome back!" The sound of Mrs. Akashi's voice surprises me. I offer her a smile. "Where were you?"

"I was at work. I just got off my shift." I reply cheerfully. "I work at a sweets shop. Would you like any?" The pink cardboard box is placed on the table, opened to reveal an assortment of pastries. I'm very concerned as to how they got in. Perhaps Daiki answered the door? But there's blue hair no in sight. I wonder if Sei has a key of his own, someway or another.

"How did you get in?" I make sure the question is phrased as politely and peacefully as possible so I can mask my surprise to the best of my ability.

"I called Daiki." Sei replies. I raise an eyebrow.

"I'm surprised he'd even be awake." I respond, unclipping my nametag and tugging my hair out of its high ponytail. The redhead gives me a very noncommittal shrug. I bet he just terrified the bluenette. "Anyway, was there something you wanted to talk about?"

"Just checking in on you." Mrs. Akashi says pleasantly. "We saw your game on TV last night. It was a surprise for both of us." She's probably referencing her husband.

"It was on TV? Seijuurou's was on TV so I listened to that one, but I didn't think ours would be, too." I wonder if they think less of me for the way I played, for how I had to be led off the court.

"You fought it again." Sei's comment surprises me once more, but I don't deny the statement.

"Don't I normally do that?" I reply, sitting across from the Akashis. He shakes his head in disapproval.

"You got stuck again. I saw." I scratch the back of my head.

"Ah. That's unfortunate." I say, reaching over to steal a cookie and bite into it. Walnuts and chocolate mingle pleasantly across my tongue. "It worked itself out, though. It was a mistake, but it was rectified."

"New vocabulary? I'm glad you're still learning." Sei's father interrupts our conversation. I offer him a grin.

"I do my best to expand my known vocabulary. I have to, if I want to be fluent." The door opens suddenly, slamming against the wall and closing suddenly.

"I'mreallysorrybutjustbarewithme." Kagami's voice is familiar and rough and sort of strained. I hear barking outside.

"A dog." I say with a sigh. "Kagami-"

"C'mon out, Kagami-kun." Tetsuya's voice filters through the door. "I'm sure Hai-chan doesn't want you in there." The redhead gives me a most pitiful look, only to start glaring at what I assume is the bluenette, who I can hear emerging from my bedroom.

"Tetsuya, would you mind moving Nigou so that we can herd Kagami out?" I ask, sauntering toward the door. "I'd rather not keep him in here at the moment."

"Ah, just a minute." Comes the reply. It takes some effort to pry the redhead from the door. I then hold my hands out expectantly, knowing full well that Tetsuya will place Nigou in my hands. The ball of fluff is delivered silently, and I leap to the other side of Kagami as rapidly as possible.

The redhead looks nothing short of betrayed as he darts out the door. I release the fluffy husky and allow it to roam out the door in time to bark at the rapidly fleeing Kagami. "Good work as usual, Tetsu." I say cheerfully. "He should really learn the importance of knocking." The bluenette offers me a smile before vanishing. I close my door once more.