Chapter 21

My understanding of the universe is pretty basic. I don't believe in fate, but I do believe in everything working together to form a bigger picture. I don't care about the reason behind the sun crossing the sky, or that we're all made of little particles. I think it's more fun to leave some things as mysteries that need unraveling. That same reasoning applies to human logic, I suppose. I'm not interested in how someone did something, but I'm interested in why. I don't care if doing certain things is possible; I want to know how many other people are wishing for those things. That's why, although it's no surprise that Coach Harasawa and Coach Watanabe managed to work out my schedule completely, I'm still curious as to why they'd go so far for me.

"Whatcha holdin'?" Satsuki asks as I look at the printed calendar in my hands. I'm in the middle of transferring these dates onto my iPod so it can remind me when they come up, and I can post this in my planner or on my fridge.

"A schedule." I say, finishing the last two dates and putting my iPod away. "Did you want to look at it?" Satsuki shakes her head, her eyes closing as she smiles.

"Nope! If it's important, you can tell me about it later. I was just wondering what it was that made you finally smile for the first time in a month." I glance up at the pinkette in surprise.

"I have too smiled this month!" I reply vehemently. Satsuki shakes her head.

"Nope! This is the first smile I've seen out of you since-" since my brother gave you that envelope? Satsuki's eyes seem tired.

"Don't tell me I worried you..." I say with a frown. Satsuki just offers me a smile. "Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. Everything's gonna work itself out, so don't stress." Satsuki laughs.

"I should be saying that to you." She replies pleasantly. "So why are you so happy?" I gnaw on my lip.

"Promise not to get angry?" I reply, glancing up at her hopefully. She nods. "I kinda checked out that softball coach you texted to me and I maybe talked with him and he possibly talked to Coach Harasawa whom then may have come up with a schedule so I might possibly play both softball and basketball." Satsuki's eyes are wide, pink, surprised. Then they return to normal.

"Was Akashi-kun okay with that?" She asks, tilting her head. I nod.

"Akashi just told me to keep up. I've done it before. I can balance school and work." Satsuki just smiles at me.

"Well, that's good." She replies. "What about... in middle school Akashi always got concerned when you had games because you'd get hurt so often. Can you cut down on those this time around?" I look up at the pinkette.

"For sure. It's not like I haven't played at all between middle school and now. I've improved a bit, ya know!" I say playfully, holding the schedule out to her. "Take a look. I should be there for every game." Satsuki laughs lightly before taking it from me and looking over it.

"Are you sure that you can actually balance work and school with this schedule? It looks a little brutal..." She replies. I scratch the back of my head and shrug.

"The coaches made it. I did tell them I have work after practice so I can't stay late, but if they think I can do this, I'll do it. I'm not one to disappoint." I reply cheekily. Satsuki just sighs and shakes her head.

"And if you've bitten off more than you can chew?" She asks with a single slender eyebrow raised. I shrug.

"Then I'll come out and say it." I reply flatly. "If I cannot do both sports, if I cannot balance school with work, sports with academics, I will choose one over the other." Satsuki frowns slightly. "I don't know what I'll decide, but I'll definitely think it through carefully."