Preperations

I tore out of the school parking lot leaving scorch marks behind me as I raced home.

I was so happy about tonight that I was bouncing with excitment. I raced down the street, taking corners sharply and popping a few wheelies but I had to slow down as I spotted a cop car sitting on a corner.

When I got to my neighborhood I let loose again and sped down my street.

Pressing down on my brakes the bike skidded into the driveway and I saw some people poking their heads out to try and see what had just happened. When they saw me getting off my bike they quickly went back inside.

I burst through my front door shouting.

"I home!" I threw my bag down and walked into the kitchen.

"In the office." Came the reply. I grabbed two bottles of water and ran up the stairs to my office.

Opening the door I found my cousin sitting behind my desk typing away on the computer.

I twisted the top off one of the bottles and placed it front of him and he reached for it and drank without ever taking his eyes off the screen.

"Thanks." He said and placed the bottle back down and I sat sidways in the chair in front of the desk with my legs hanging over the side. I leaned my head back and looked at the ceiling as I waited for him to finish whatever it was he was doing.

I learned long ago not to try and talk to him while he was on a computer, he was just ignore everything I was saying so I might as well wait until I had his full attention.

I turned my head to the side to look at him and smiled when he pushed his glasses back up with his finger.

People usually mistaked us for brother and sister because we looked so much alike. The same thick brown hair and hazel eyes and height. Our fathers were brothers, twins actually so it shouldn't be any suprise that their kids came out looking alike.

Our fathers might have been twins but they were nothing alike. One was loud and the other quiet. One was laid back and the other demanding.

My father was a complete asshole who was all about image. So when he found out the secret I had been keeping from him he had nearly killed me. If my uncle Nathan (Matthew's dad) and Matthew hadn't have pulled him off of me I'm sure he would have killed me.

He threw me out of the house when I was fourteen and my aunt and uncle took me in.

My mother had died when I was younger and I think that also contributed to my fathers anger.

I inherited a lot of money from my mothers parents a few years ago because I was the only heir. I recieve a payment every month but I had to sign a contract that stated on my eighteenth birthday I would take control of my grandfathers company.

Life was good until a few months ago when Matthew's father died in a car accident. It affected all of us, my father even showed up to the funeral, but we didn't talk. Matthew's mom wanted to get away,so she sold their old home and with the money that Matthew got from his fathers insurance and some of my inheritance money we bought this house and sent her off so she could find herself and try to heal.

That was a few days ago. Now all I want to do is fight. I need one. I crave it. After the incident with my dad I found a trainer and started doing mixed martial arts and a few other styles. I never wanted to feel that defenseless again.

"Stop thinking about it." Matthew said and I looked over at him to see that he had put his laptop down and was looking at me.

"About what?" I asked and he raised his eyebrow.

"Fine. Anyway, how many did you get me?" I asked eargerly.

"Three." He said and I pouted.

"Only three?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Yeah, the person who runs it didn't even believe you could handle one, I had to fight for three. He said you have to prove yourself if you want more." Matthew said and I grin.

Matthew shakes his head and stands up and packs up his laptop.

"Let's go get ready and head out." He says and I jump up from my seat and run to my room and grab my gym bag.

There's no need to change my clothes. What I'm wearing is good enough.

I'm back by the front door in record time and I bounce from foot to foot as I wait for Matthew.

It's a whole five minutes before he comes downstairs with his laptop bag thrown over his shoulder.

"Took you long enough." I mutter as we walk out to his car. I would love to ride my bike but I'm not sure where the place is and I don't want to damage it.

We got into the car and he sped off. He's as bad with cars as I am with bikes.

An hour later we turn off onto a dirt road and drove down it for another ten minutes until we came to a large open area with a warehouse in the center. Cars were parked all over the place,so we found an easy spot and got out and walked to the door.

A guard shot out his hand to block us.

"She's fighting tonight." Matthew said and the guard ran his eyes over me before snorting.

"Name?" He asked and I was the one to answer.

"Phoenix."