Chapter 10

(Y/n)'s POV

I opened the door to my apartment only to find the lights on. Who the hell was here? There wasn't some kind of thief here, was there? But they wouldn't leave the lights if they were here to steal...right?

I cautiously closed the door and quietly stepped towards the lounge room. The tv was on, I could hear the news. As I headed closer, I saw two feet up on the table.

"Oi, how long are you gonna just stand there?" Kento asked while turning off the tv.
"Hey, you scared me! I thought you were some kind of robber!"
"Oh, didn't I tell you that I was coming over?"
"No!"
"Calm down. I said I would call you, didn't I?"
"Yeah but you never did...liar."
"Sorry, I thought coming over to talk to you in person would be better."

I let out a sigh and sat down beside him. He had already helped himself to a cup of instant coffee and some whole grain biscuits. Wow, what...boring tastebuds he had.

"What did you want to talk about?"
"It's about Yuuta and Goshi."
"Oh..."
"I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with them. It's unusual for them to ignore you and hide things from you."

I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue.

"But I don't think they meant to hurt you."
"Hurt me? If they did it without the intention of hurting me, then I'm pretty sure they would've stopped acting like jerks."
"(Y/n)-"
"I know I'm being unreasonable but it's not fair...what do Tsubasa and Yumiko have that I don't?"
"Nothing, I don't get it either. I mean, sure Tsubasa's a nice girl but I don't know Yumiko well enough to say the same about her."

I looked down at my hands when he said that. Stupid Yumiko...she should just disappear. *sigh* I guess I should've been stronger than this. I mean, I've put up with her countless threats up till now.

"What happened between you and Yumiko?" asked Kento.
"...nothing."
"...alright, I won't ask you about it for now. Tell me when you're ready. Anyway, what do you suggest we do about Yuuta and Goshi?"
"What do you think we should do?"
"I don't know. That's why I'm asking you."
"I think I should confront Yuuta first. That matter is more serious. I can just push my feelings aside for now."
"And you're suggesting that I just watch you get jealous? No way am I going to do that. You handle Yuuta. I'll find a way to take care of Goshi and Tsubasa."
"Kento, don't play with her feelings, okay?"
"*smirks* You know me too well."

~The next day at work~

I was busily typing on my computer, editing all the drafts and preparing the reports for Mr Hitoshi. He was going to be arriving in 10 minutes, just enough time for me to finish this.

Yumiko flashed me a sickly smile. I simply rolled my eyes and continued on with my work. She was always doing that kind of thing.

As I hurriedly placed the papers and documents on Mr Hitoshi's desk, he came in with a stern look on his face. *gulp* I hoped I wasn't in trouble...but he has always had a scary look so I probably shouldn't be worrying.

"(Y/n), Yumiko, I have something to discuss with you two."

I noticed that she had appeared beside me. She had put on her good girl act. She always did in front of Mr Hitoshi, which was sometimes pretty annoying.

"Yes sir?"
"You've both heard of the groups Thrive, Kitakore and Moons, right?"
"Of course," Yumiko replied.
"And how they all form B Project?"

We nodded, curious as to what he had to say.

"Well, they are collaborating with our company's clothing department. We need you, (Y/n), because of your familiarity with them and you, Yumiko, to write an article on this. Can I trust you two to get this job done?"
"Yes sir," we both said simultaneously.

He handed us the details of the collaboration. Apparently we were going to a beach resort, where they would be having their photoshoot. We were staying there overnight.

Straight after we headed outside, Yumiko pulled me by the arm to an empty corridor. I waited patiently for her to say whatever she was going to say.

"Don't ruin this for me, (Y/n). This'll be my chance."
"Sure, sure."
"Stop being sarcastic. I mean it! If you ruin it for me, I'll do much more than release those photos to the media."
"Tch."

She smirked before leaving. I continued to stare at the ceiling. If this was my punishment, when would it end? What did I even do wrong in the first place?

Perhaps it was Yumiko's punishment. A life where she got everything she wanted before it all disappeared before her very eyes. That'd sure be interesting to watch.

"(Y/n), come with me for a minute," said Mr Hitoshi.

I followed him to his office, where he stared straight into my eyes as if he was searching for something that wasn't there. I managed not to break eye contact as he finally opened his mouth to speak.

"I know you're just an intern so I won't expect much from you. Just...don't fail this. I don't want my reputation falling because of you. That'll be terrible for me and even worse for you."
"Of course, sir."
"Listen to everything Yumiko says. You know how well she does things. Her articles are some of the best we have."
"Y-yes, I'm aware of that."
"And definitely don't go playing around with those boys. This is not a playdate, it's work."
"Yes sir."
"If you fail to meet my expectations, then I will have no choice but to fire you, got it? You've already caused enough trouble and I don't need any more."
"...yes sir."

I shut the door behind me. He spoke so calmly as if it was normal to treat a human like that...he had a terrible judgement of people. How could he not see the devil hiding right in front of him in plain sight?...