Chapter Twenty (Part I out of II)

CHAPTER TWENTY

"What the fuck is this?" Reuben muttered under his breath. A frown creased his forehad while he stared at the letter she handed him over.

She responded with a blank expression on her face. "Resignation letter ko 'yan."

Matabang na ngumiti si Rueben, halata ang inis sa mga mata. "Yes, I can see that!" he bawled pissed off. "I am no illiterate, my dear wife, to not understand what's written here. Let me do you one better. Why the fuck is this?" Padabog nitong ihinagis ang papel sa kalapit nitong office table.

It was a huge effort for her not to roll her eyes, but she managed. Alas siete pa lang ng umaga pero nagsisimula na naman silang magtalo. Their conversation last night didn't help one bit to loosen up the knot of anger and anxiety in her stomach. Galit pa rin siya sa ginawang panggagamit sa kanya nito at hindi pa rin niya ito napapatawad. Wala siyang makitang katanggap-tanggap na rason para basta na lang niyang kalimutan ang kasalanan nito. He had been nice to her last night—well, he oughta be nice because he was the one who did wrong—but right now she can vividly see that he was losing his cool. He seemed to be angry, confused, and surprised all at once by her sudden decision.

While she can't sleep last night, she went into a deep thinking about her situation with her husband. She realized that she was indeed powerless against someone like him. She was a commoner before they were married and she still felt like she was one even after she had been married to a billionaire. Not a big deal to her, really. But after what he did behind her back, she knew she had to draw the line—as a wife. Hindi pwedeng kontrolado siya nito kahit isa lang siyang maliit na tao kumpara sa gaya nito.

There were numerous things that binds her powerless to him.

First was the house they live in. Nakikitira lang siya at ang pamilya niya sa bahay nito. Pwede lang sila nitong palayasin kahit kailan nito gustuhin.

Second was her job. Ang sinusuweldo niyang pera ay naggagaling din dito. He was her boss and anytime he wanted, he can just fire her too.

Those realizations urged her to break her dependency from him. Gusto niya iyon baguhin at naisip niyang simulan iyon sa pag-alis sa trabaho niya bilang sekretarya nito.

Reuben was already dressed for work while she was still in her sleepwear because she had no intention to go to work at all, hence, her resignation letter. Dali-dali niyang ipinrint ang letter na iyon kanina sa mismong office nito gamit ang laptop at printer nito para maihabol niyang ibigay iyon dito bago pa ito makaalis. Saktong kakatapos lang iluwa ng printer ang resignation letter niya nang sundan siya nito roon. That was when she gave him the letter. And now he appeared like something crawled up in his ass and died.

"Gusto kong kumawala sayo," sabi niya sa matatag na tinig. "Nakatira ako sa bahay mo at sayo rin nanggaling ang monthly salary ko. You have so much power over me more than I want to admit. Masyado akong nakadepende sayo at gusto kong bawasan iyon. Right now, there's nothing much I can claim as mine other than my mother and my daughter. I want other things that I can call my own. Things that aren't connected to you, like my previous job as your secretary."

Pinag-aralan niya ang mukha ng kaharap. Kitang-kita niya ang magkahalong inis at pagkabigla nito pero hindi pa ito nagkokomento kaya nagpatuloy siya.

"I will boldly admit that this is my precaution against you. I can't take the risk that I'll just be nothing when the time you're done with me comes."

The lines of Reuben's gorgeous face remained relaxed but his eyes were seething with cold, dark fury that was quite intense she could almost feel it on her skin.

"You're not going to break free from me," he said.

Of all the things she told him, it looked like he only cared about the thing she said about breaking free from him. That made her sigh.