Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Her eyes quickly hovered on the printed paper, scanning all the important details before Reuben comes back. Snooping around his stuff will definitely put her in trouble but he was hiding something and she was dedicated to figure out what that was. After all, the papers had something to do with her.

When she heard footsteps closing in, her back stiffened. She put the file back in the drawer, locked the drawer again with the scissor blade, then stood up and made a relaxed facial expression despite the fast, heavy beats banging in her chest.

The door flew open and Reuben walked in. Hawak nito ang tasa ng bagong timplang kape sa isang kamay nang mapatda ang mga paa nito nang makita siya. Kaagad na sumunod ang pagsasalubong ng mga kilay nito. Tila magkahalong inis at kuryosidad ang gumuhit sa gwapo nitong mukha.

"What are you doing here?"

Pinilit niya na ngumiti at panatilihing matatag ang kanyang boses sa kabila ng kaba. "The side of my bed was cold. Kaya hinanap kita."

"And the scissors?" he asked cocking an eyebrow.

Her gaze went down to her hand which held the scissors she forgot to put down. She frantically searched her brain for a good alibi.

"Maggugupit lang sana ako ng bangs."

Lalong kumunot ang noo ni Reuben. "Your hair is fine that way. 'Wag mong paglaruan ang buhok mo."

"Alam ko naman kung paano maggupit ng bangs," giit niya.

"No," mariin nitong sabi. "Don't touch your hair. You're probably just bored. Kakagising mo lang. Baka mamaya, mamali ka pa ng gupit."

Lumapit ito, ipinatong ang tasa sa mesa saka siya niyakap at hinalikan sa noo. Muli ay ikinulong siya nito sa komportable nitong init. Hiling niya lang ay sana hindi nito maramdaman ang rigodon sa loob ng kanyang dibdib.

"Bakit ba parang ang strict mo sa akin pagdating sa buhok ko?"

"I love your hair," he said in a smooth voice while gently caressing her head.

The way he did that made her feel like she was a child being told to behave and not play with her hair.

"But I love you more," he added. "So if cutting your hair makes you happy, I'm down for it."

Binaba niya ang gunting. "Nagbago na isip ko. I won't cut my hair since you said you love it." Wala naman din talaga siyang balak na maggupit ng buhok. She smiled sweetly saying, "Whatever pleases my dearest husband."

She wanted that to sound as flirty as she wanted it to be. She needed to make herself look composed to cover her nervousness. Matalino si Reuben. Kapag napansin nito kung ano ang totoong nararamdaman niya nang mga oras na iyon, paniguradong kaagad itong maghihinala sa kanya.

Siniil ng mister niya ng malalim na halik ang kanyang mga labi. Halos mapugto ang kanyang hininga bago nito putulin ang halik.

Again, she tried her best to smile at him. Her hand unconsciously reached a hand to the folder on his office table. His gaze followed her movement then his eyes fixed on where her hand stopped.

Dinampot niya ang folder saka iyon ibinuka at nagkunwaring binabasa ang laman niyon. "Ito ba 'yung pinapirmahan mo kanina?"

"I already gave those papers to Blake."

His voice was steady, his face was stoic.

He lied.

"Those were just papers for my adoption for Maja. I already opened a bank account for her trust fund too."