Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Luna has left to go on her 'date' with Wayne and I'm waiting nervously for Kain to pick me up. I tried telling him he didn't need to since the party was at his and Wayne's place, but he insisted. I wasn't sure when I should talk to him about us, but I wanted to do it sometime tonight. I fiddle with the charm bracelet on my wrist; Luna had gotten it for me for my birthday. It was such a thoughtful present, having charms of a heart, a camera for our love of photography, a snowflake for our winter birthdays, and the letters L, A, and C. I know she has the hope that one day Alex and I will be together again and that's why she added the A. She told me I could take it off if I wanted, but I can't. We're a family whether we end up together or not.

Kain's car pulls up and I rush through the cold drizzle to get in. "Happy Birthday darling," he greets softly. We had only texted a few times since the other day and I know he's anxious to talk.

"Thank you," I tell him.

I should be used to silent car rides by now, but they seem more frequent then usual these days. I knew Kain was waiting for me to break the silence but I was too nervous to, so we sat in silence.

We pull up to his apartment not long later, but before he could leave the car I stop him, grabbing the leather of his jacket. "Uh Kain," I start and he nods for me to go on. "Can we talk some time tonight?"

He gulps nervously but nods again, "Uh yeah of course we can."

We get out of the car and wait for Wayne and Luna to get here. We were meant to 'accidentally' walk into each other and then walk in together. I ask Kain where they are and he says Wayne texted they'd be here in a few minutes.

He leans against his car and eyes me. "What?" I ask suspiciously.

"You look beautiful tonight Charlie," he says. I feel my face heat up and he chuckles. "When do you want to talk?"

I fidget nervously, "I don't know whenever you want."

He smirks at my obvious nerves. "Okay and what will we be talking about?" He knows, but he's getting amusement from making me anxious.

"Us," I reply simply and he freezes, his smirk dropping. Okay maybe he didn't know...

"What about us?" He questions.

"Um I don't know exactly that's why we need to talk. I mean I realized that I love you, but I don't know if I'm in love with you. I talked to Alexander and we both decided I needed to figure out for myself what I really wanted. And well I can't know for sure unless I give you a chance, but now I'm realizing what Luna meant. I don't want it to seem like I'm using you to figure out my own feelings..." I ramble on fretfully.

"You love me?" Kain chokes out, cutting off my rambling.

I peek up at him and he's staring at me in shock. "Yeah, but I don't know if I'm in love with you," I repeat.

"Okay," he says and I'm instantly confused.

"Okay?"

"Okay I'll help you figure out your feelings," he states confidently.

"What? But I don't want to hurt you Kain. I still love Alexander, but I'm confused and I don't want to drag you on. I think you should think this through more," I tell him hesitantly. His instant answer has me thrown off.

"It's fine Charlotte. I know what doing this can result in, but I'm saying okay. I want to try with you. I want to help you," he responds firmly.

"Kain—"