Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Dad? I thought I was meeting you at your car?" Luna's voice pulls me from those eyes once again. Alex looks a little caught off guard at the sound of her voice, quickly releasing my hand that he was holding a bit longer than he should have. Not that I minded, but his once hard, blank expression was cracked a bit.

"You were, but you were late so I came up here to get you. Where were you?" His face softened as he spoke to Luna.

"Sorry I was with some people I met last night and lost track of time, I'm ready when you are! Hey Charlie!" She finally notices me standing behind the tall frame of her dad. "I see you two have met."

"We have. Shall we?" Alex asks. Luna whispers something to him and he tenses a bit before nodding slowly.

"Hey Charlie have you had dinner yet?" I shake my head no. "Would you like to join us?" Her voice sounds hopeful. I look to Alex and he stands with that same blank expression studying me. It unnerved me a bit seeing him like this. He was always so full of life, always wearing a smile on his face even when it was fake. But now... now he looks emotionless, like a man who's lived a life of suffering and has chosen to shut down emotionally. It's a sight that has my already damaged heart cracking even more. His pain is my pain.

"Charlotte?" I look at Luna and she's starring at me in amusement. "So?"

"I'd love to thank you for inviting me."

The restaurant is a small family friendly one, it reminded me of this place Alex and I used to always go to around the corner from his house. "I like this place, it's so cute."

"Yeah it's mine and my dad's favorite place. We come here every Monday; we used to go to a similar place near my old home before we moved here. My mom and dad used to always go there before I was born, so my dad kept up the tradition with me." Luna smiles.

I see Alex frowning behind her, lost in thought as we take our seats. "I'll give you a few minutes to look over the menu." The waitress says as her stare lingers on Alex a moment too long.

I hear Luna chuckle so I give her a questioning look. "It's weird seeing so many women having the hots for my dad when we go out." So she noticed too?

Alex rolls his eyes at her, his hard exterior slowly cracking the longer he's with Luna. "Why do you always notice these things?" He asks.

"It's hard not to, especially when some even slip you their numbers," she laughs. She looks to me. "I've been trying to get my dad to date again, not one of the waitresses shoving their boobs in his face, but at least to try and find someone nice." I feel my body tense up as I let out a shaky laugh.

"And I've been trying to get my daughter to mind her own business." Alex adds, a smile playing at his lips. I stare hoping a full smile appears, but feel disappointed when they settle back into a straight line.

"Dad you know I'm only looking out for you, plus you're not getting any younger."

Alex sighs, but shakes his head in amusement. "I'm not old," he mutters.

"You're right. You're not as old as most dads." She looks back to me, "My parents had me at just sixteen." Alex narrows his eyes at her, almost like he didn't want her disclosing any information about him to me.

"Oh really?" I say, trying to stop my eyes from lingering on Alex.

"Yup, dad here is just thirty five years old. Maybe that's why we have such a problem with women when we're out," she responds.