Chapter 12 - Hogsmeade: Part Un

Dedicated to AllisonRose866 because she was the first to comment and is awesome :D

The week had come and gone leaving behind the strenuous sixth year classes. In the air was a distinct feeling of relief as it was Hogsmeade weekend and the students were buzzing around excited for the day that lay ahead. Groups of chatty fifth year girls followed around by pubescent teenage boys, and pranksters getting a laugh off unsuspecting first years set the stage of lightheartedness following the beginning of the spring season. First dates, butterbeer, and shopping were only a few of the expeditions energizing the castle this morning; Gossip being the dominant feature. A fair amount was focused on who had been asked where, but what made up the better portion of gossip was poor Eloise Fenwick, whose spectacle regarding the Ministry of Magic and it’s many conspiracy theories, including one which suggested that the Minister for Magic was actually a goblin disguised as a centaur disguised as a wizard, had rather irked the greater body of students – many distrusted Eloise and found her odd, which only heightened the tension toward her. The fact that she always had an extra pair of socks keeping two thick ginger plates in place atop her head, used two of her extra ties as suspenders and always wore a string of garlic as a sash didn’t help either.

James was roaming through the hallways, trying to take up as much time as possible before he had to report to his detention with Filch. It really wasn’t fair, having a detention on Hogsmeade weekend. He considered visiting Sir Cadogan to ask him how his day had gone so far or perhaps he could drop in on the Giant Squid; Merlin knew he hadn’t had a decent conversation with him in quite a while. James even considered going off to find Severus to have a go at him, even though he knew it would land him in hot water with Lily and maybe even give him another weekend’s worth of detention.

He knew that he couldn’t really be caught bunking off detention. Skiving off twice in one week was just bad form and James was a man of style. This didn’t stop him from seriously considering it however. That is, until he heard a fourth year Hufflepuff utter seven terrifying words.

“Yeah, Evans is going with Caradoc Dearborn." 

James’s mouth fell open as he swung around in slow motion. His jaw seemed to be left behind the rest of him as he spun, giving him the odd resemblance of a cow mid-chew.

“Reckon Potter is pissing himself yet?” Came the smart reply of his friend as James sifted through the crowded hallway, tossing first years behind him like they were balls in a play pen.

His hands found the collar of the young boy, pulling the unsuspecting lad up to his height. “What did you just say?” James asked, his voice quivering.

The Hufflepuff looked as though he was about to lose his breakfast, his face tingeing green. “Car-Car-C-” He looked close to fainting.

“Never mind Dearborn,” James cut in sharply, “Where’s she going with him? Hogsmeade?” He took the feeble moan and rolls of the boys head as a yes before he released him and stormed off in search of her. 

Poor Lily was minding her own business, her skin still glowing from the shock of having been asked to Hogsmeade by Caradoc Dearborn. She had never figured him, being in his seventh year and captain of the Hufflepuff quidditch team, to ask book worm and prefect Lily Evans out on a date. His charm and elegance was what had lured Lily into agreeing to the arrangement. He was good-looking, well mannered, and carried himself in a way that suggested maturity and sophistication. Two traits that James Potter certainly did not posses, thank you very much. Even on the rarest of occasions when James wasn’t acting a fool or attempting to trick or bribe her into a date, Lily did not believe that he could ever posses the qualities that Caradoc so carelessly radiated. And Caradoc, the name absolutely just slid off of her tongue; much easier on the ears than James. James. JAMES.