An Update of Sorts

Emerging from a particularly difficult Ancient Runes lesson, after having spent most of the lesson deciphering ancient scripts from Mayan shamans, Gizelle was more than eager to return to the common room, throw her books onto her bed and sleep until supper time. She left the room with Remus by her side, relaying her horror as to the enormous amount of work that they had just been assigned.

"We're playing Hufflepuff this weekend and he thinks she can just toss us this bloody – he's lucky I adore the class as much as I do!" Gizelle said.

Remus didn't answer at first, but dug through his bag, pulling out a small, worn book. He handed it to her saying, "I came across this in the library the other day. Have a look through; it ought to at least shave a few hours off."

Gizelle looked as though she could kiss him and she took the book with such delicate hands that Remus chuckled.

"I will repay you one day," she said in a hollow voice, as they turned a corner, their eyes falling upon a pair of familiar faces.

"My friends!" Gizelle exclaimed to the two - James and Lily, "I've missed you!" She hastened her pace to close the remaining distance between them, Remus chuckling lightheartedly behind her. They smiled together and Lily threw her arms out enthusiastically to meet Gizelle, but then James's face slipped into a hardened stare.

And then Gizelle noticed that she no longer heard Remus laughing, so she swiveled back around, her arms still holding loosely onto Lily's, catching on immediately to what had caused his stoic expression.

Remus was futilely rubbing his uniform where a great green ink blob had been smeared. His supplies had fallen to the ground and he was just about to open his mouth to speak when a Slytherin in front of him turned to her friend and said rather loudly, "Woopsie! What's a matter, Lupin? Did I ruin your best robes?" She cackled and gestured toward the worn, tattered, and now stained clothing, which Remus had abandoned. "It's rather an improvement, I'd say!"

The girl who had spoken was Malia Dolus – a short Slytherin seventh year with a thick neck and limbs, who often hung around the likes of Rabastan Lestrange.

James started, coming forward quickly, but Lily grabbed hold of his wrist and said in a soothing voice, "James... it isn't worth it, McGonagall will have your wand if you get another detention," though her face was set in a look of utter disgust that Gizelle had never seen before.

"That's fifty points from Slytherin, Dolus!" James shouted at the short witch.

She squealed with laughter, looking to her housemate for approval, "You think I care about house points Potter?"

The Slytherin next to her sneered, "Oh yes, please, not our precious house points. We mustn't lose those!" And then he joined in with Malia, their vindictive laughs carrying through the hall.

This time Gizelle stepped forward, brandishing her wand

More laughter flowed through the pair, Malia managing to sober up long enough to say, "Be careful now Avery, the mudblood's getting angry!" she barely finished her thought before bursting once again into hysterics and began to walk away from them.

Raising her wand, Gizelle opened her mouth, intent on casting a spell to send them flying down the hall, but Remus whispered hoarsely to her, "No! Don't give them the satisfaction!"

And then James added from behind, "Don't mind them, Zelle... probably compensating for their lacking in other areas!" he shouted the last bit at their retreating backs.

At this, Avery's head rolled to the side, leering back at them and his body followed behind, so that he was once again looking upon them, though his face was now calm, as if bored. He sauntered over to within feet of the group, Malia squeaking with anticipation, safely behind him.