Chapter 10 - Apologies Are the Spellotape of Life

This chapter is dedicated to the wonderful Bubble947. Her one-shot "Sparks" was the winner of my one-shot contest, and it is absolutely amazing. She has a terrific writing style and I supremely enjoyed reading waht she came up with! So check out her page if you're looking for some more reading material; I think you'll be delighted with what you find! Cheers!

xx

Gizelle wasn’t in the common room. She wasn’t in Great Hall either. She wasn’t in her dormitory or in the owlery or by the Great Lake or by the Quidditch pitch. She wasn’t by Hagrid’s hut and she wasn’t hiding in any empty classroom. She definitely wasn’t in the girl or boys lavatory. She wasn’t stuck in the vanishing step and she wasn’t hiding out in the kitchens. As far as Sirius could see, Gizelle had disappeared off the face of the earth. He was mentally slapping himself on the head for not remembering to ask Peter for the Marauder’s Map. It didn’t help that he also wasn’t quite keen to bring the happenings of the previous night up yet, but he told himself that it was a necessity to solve whatever problems that were ahead if he were to continue a friendship with Gizelle. So that was where his over analyzing conscience had left him, searching through the entire castle in an attempt to locate her.

He was headed up to the Room of Requirement to see if he couldn’t conjure up the room that Gizelle might be hiding in. James had told him this was folly, that the Room of Requirement would not allow access to Sirius if Gizelle was in there. But thanks to sheer stubbornness and an inability to accept defeat, this didn’t deter Sirius in the slightest as he would be damned if he couldn’t locate her.

Curiosity got the better of him on his plight up the seven stairs to the Room of Requirement. A voice that sounded like it was trying to remain a whisper was coming from an empty room that he had just passed. He stopped in his tracks and retraced his steps back down towards the room. He didn’t dare peak inside, for fear of being seen, but he was quite keen to hear what the heated voice was trying to convey.

“You stupid cow! I can’t trust you with anything!” Sirius could tell that the voice was female and that it was very angry. “How could you let this happen? It was Lily who was supposed to give us her deepest secret! What good does it do if Gizelle and Sirius are humiliated?”

Sirius heard a second voice, much feebler and almost inaudible, “Everything had worked as it was supposed to, it’s just that Gizelle must have drunk from Lily’s glass. Are you positive you placed it in her drink?”

The first voice seemed to disregard the last comment, “You said that it was fool-proof! Well it’s obviously not!”

Sirius let his body fall flat onto the wall next to the door when he heard the voices coming closer. He tore up the stairs and out of sight before he was seen. His heart was racing as he came to the top of the seventh floor. So it had been magic at play. Gizelle’s feelings had been true; she had just not wanted them to come out so soon. He racked his brain trying to recall the voice that he had heard. It sounded familiar, but sounded off-place in its angered tone.

He considered telling Gizelle or even Hannah what he had overheard in the classroom, but decided against it when he remembered that girl’s were known to become a bit stroppy when it came to backstabbing. The fact that Gizelle seemed gone for good didn’t help much either. He kept walking, forgetting where he was going and why he was trying to get there. His thoughts traveled back to the previous night; to Gizelle. Thinking back, he couldn’t reason out why he had acted the way he did. He was embarrassed, that much was certain, but had it really excused the way he treated her? It wasn’t her fault that she had accidentally drunken Lily’s pumpkin juice, he knew this, and yet he couldn’t yet reprimand his behavior – and he didn’t understand why.