Chapter 15 - Stupid

"We need to talk."

Four words which are synonymous with bad news. News that was often followed by “It’s not you, it’s me,” Or if they were really daring, “Er-no, it actually is you and I’ve found someone else,” But luckily for Sirius, when James pulled him aside during breakfast, it was not under the pretense of an ill fated relationship.

“I think we should stop jinxing Snive-Snape.” James said this with such a straight face that Sirius could only assume he was shitting him.

As such he let out a loud snort and slapped his hand against James’s shoulder before shaking his head and walking back into the Great Hall to finish his breakfast, “Good one Prongs,” he laughed as he walked away.

James quickly caught up with him and turned him around again, “I’m not joking Padfoot!” he said sternly, “I really think we need to stop. We’re adults now, yeah?” This time Sirius stood still, his face softening from a smile to a sullen and apprehensible look.

“You’re trying to tell me that you think we should stop hexing Snape?” he asked as if to clarify even though James had made perfectly clear his intentions. “And what are we supposed to do when he comes along and decides to float us up in the air and show everyone our pants? We’re supposed to just hang there and do nothing? Hate to be the one to break it to you mate, but you’re bloody mad, what did you have some bad eggs this morning?”

James pinched the bridge of his noise and looked down at his shoes, “I’m going for more of the idea that he might stop harassing us as well, Padfoot, a sort of truce perhaps…”

“What’s gotten into you?” Sirius surveyed him with brows raised sky high. His face might have almost seemed angry were it not for the slight pout that framed his lips. “We’re not mates. He’s marked to become a death eater, we all know that. James, why on earth would we want to befriend him?”

James sighed, “I just…” he began through gritted teeth. “I feel like..” he glanced up at Sirius who was still eyeing him curiously through his thick fringe. “Right…screw it."

Sirius broke out into a smile and grabbed James into a shoulder hug, “Tha’s muh boy.”

Back in the Great Hall, a small group had begun to clutter around the Gryffindor table. “Reports have surfaced from no less than five reliable sources that claim You-Know-Who was behind the most recent attack on muggle borns this past week in Eccles.” Hannah was reading from the Daily Prophet to the group and James and Sirius made their way to the table to get a better ear on what was happening.

“Locals claim that a new calling card is in use for these ‘death eaters’. A name has not yet been identified, but readers are warned to stay clear of any houses that bear the symbol of a skull and snake above them.”

Hannah put the paper down slowly as she finished the last sentence. “Blimey, so now he wants us to know it was him…” She looked up at the rest of the crowd around her, each bearing the same bleak expression as her. Sirius snatched the Prophet.

“So what?” Sirius retorted, questioning the group with his eyes, “So what? You can’t let him scare you or he’s won! You realize that, don’t you? I’m not going to live in fear of him. So he wants to challenge us; I say let him. Let him come, and if there’s anyone who wants to support him let them come as well.” He blatantly looked toward the Slytherin table at Snape and Rabastan Lestrange. They clearly knew that he was referring to them and responded with equal amounts of venom in their stares. Sirius threw the paper back onto the table and walked out of the Great Hall. A few students had stopped their breakfast to watch Sirius as he made his announcement and were now looking with wondering eyes at the rest of the marauders.