Chapter 48

Jareth's POV

Jareth was walking back to the Hufflepuff dorms after departing with Carter. He was smiling genuinely for the first time in quite awhile. He sighed and looked out to his left at the paintings.

He never really took note of how amazing they really were. The fact that they could move and be so alive and-

Jareth's thoughts were interrupted when he crashed into someone. He yelped and fell on top of them, squeezing his eyes shut tight. He opened them, apologizing.

"Oh, Merlin, I am so so sorry, I-" He froze, staring down at the person underneath him. For the first time in a long while, eyes of silver met those of gold once again again.

"Hello, Jareth."

"H-Hi Sirius."

"Funny, finding ourselves in this situation again," Sirius said with a smirk. Jareth frowned and looked away.

"Sirius, I-"

Sirius wrapped an arm around Jareth's waist, making Jareth squeak. Jareth glared down at him, but didn't move.

"S-Sirius, this is highly inappropriate, I-"

"Jareth. I love you. You know that, right?"
"Yes, I know."

Sirius stared up at him for a moment, seemingly contemplating something.

"I'm happy for you and Carter," Sirius said, pushing Jareth off of him. He stood and walked away, down the halls and out of sight. Jareth exhaled, finally.

"Merlin, he is stubborn," Jareth murmured to himself. He loved Sirius. He still did. But he was trying really, really hard to move on. Sirius wasn't good for him. Not anymore. Not now. And Sirius being like he was did not help.

Jareth sighed and tapped the correct barrel, going into the common room. He ran a hand through his hair and flopped onto the couch, putting his head in his hands, trying not to cry.

"You alright, Jareth dear?" Jareth looked up slightly to see Helga looking worried down at him. He pursed his lips and hesitantly nodded. He knew if he opened his mouth he'd start to cry. He could feel it. Helga frowned. "What happened?" He shook his head and stood up from the couch, then walked into his dorm, just as Leona had. Helga sighed and shook her head.

"My goodness, Hufflepuffs these days!"