But If You Loved Me ~ 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
2ND POV
6-29-18
——————
A/N: Happy Birthday to meeeee! 🎈 🎉 🎊 Or, well, my birthday was yesterday, when this stupid update was supposed to be ready. Sorry this is so short, I wasn't feeling particularly inspired this past week. Hope you enjoy!
——————

Everything was fine. Everything was okay!

Jack, Raf, and Miko has successfully managed to dump the Dark Energon from the Decepticon warship's systems. This saved them, the Cons, and Team Prime's afts, and kept the sentient ship from being seen and terrorizing Manhattan.

Thank Primus.

Not only that, but the three humans were also able to download three separate coordinates that led to different Iacon relics! Things were going absolutely marvelous on your end!

But Megatron? Things . . . they could be certainly be improved upon.

The Decepticons—Dreadwing, the Vehicons, Knockout, the whole gang—had noticed something rather off about the warlord in recent months. Heck, even Starscream noticed, and he hadn't even rejoined the boys' club yet. Though your fellow Autobots noticed, only Optimus really lingered on the slow but sure changes.

Their leader was becoming . . . less warmonger-y. Clarification: Megatron's behavior had been slowly shifting in a direction of non-Con behavior, and had been subtle enough for those around him to not catch on too quickly. Or at least, it was at first.

Dreadwing noticed whenever the powerful mech gave instructions.

Knockout noticed whenever his leader visited the Medbay, or, ever so rarely, ended up there due to injuries.

Soundwave already knew. He knows everything, obviously, unlike the Insecticons.

The troopers, whether they were Vehicons or Eradicons, gossiped and chattered together about what they noticed and observed. They knew quite a bit about what went on, considering nobody ever really acknowledged them unless they were being abused. Theories went from one's intake through the others' audios.

Little did anyone know the scandalous truth.

Dreadwing (and any Vehicon who cared to pay attention) saw how, at random times of the day, Megatron would simply smile to himself. Not a mischievous grin, not a maniacal smirk, just a soft, happy, seemingly unnoticeable smile.

The warmonger's followers also noticed that the former gladiator was less likely to give beatings to his followers. When the mech grew increasingly angry over something, he was less likely to take his frustration out on another (mostly the drones, but still). Instead, Megatron would control his anger and trudge away, grumbling to himself (or ranting off to you, if you didn't mind, though you never did).

He tended to talk softer now. Not the calming, soft, husky tone he enjoyed using around you. The one that made blush blue like the color of aquamarines if he used it just right. The one that wasn't too soft to be incoherent, but wasn't loud enough to frighten you. No, the warlord just seemed to yell out in boiling anger, or loudly growl at his subordinates less.

Not that any of them were complaining about not facing the mech's wrath, that was probably the best part.

They just didn't understand why he was acting so . . . so . . . so civil. This was the miner-turned-warrior-turned-monster that began a war that tore their planet apart, and he was acting nicer than ever before.

Of course, none of them really decided to investigate until now.

——————

"My liege?" Megatron turned around at the monitor in the central control room, spotting Dreadwing. The second-in-command held himself in a professional and intimidating stance before his leader.

"What do you need, Dreadwing?" There it was, that subtle, but noticeable, softer tone of voice. It sounded less like the winged mech had aggravated his lord by stumbling in on something important (as he would've beforehand); Megatron actually sounded like they were to have a civil discussion, like he hadn't been occupied, even though the SIC could tell without a glance that the images and symbols onscreen was clearly important.

"Knockout told me you should have a check-up as soon as possible."

"I don't have time for that. Tell him he will have to wait," Megatron told the commander impatiently.

"I suggest you go, my liege. I can take over from here while you are absent," Dreadwing urged.

"That is a no, Dreadwing," Megatron grunted in response. At this point, the mech would've already snapped, but he'd barely let out a growl. The ex-gladiator turned back to his work.

" But sir-"

"Is there a reason you and the doctor are so adamant about this?" The warlord interrupted, looking over his shoulder at the smaller mech.

"Sir, you've been acting noticeably different for this past while. Me, as well as the rest of your crew, would like to make sure you are doing fine." One theory, the troopers gossiped, was that the mech was slowly going crazy from Dark Energon poisoning. Another, was that a NAIL had dropped from the sky that nobody knew of, and Megatron was secretly snogging. The first seemed more likely.

"I can assure you, I am fine," The warmonger grumbled in annoyance.

Dreadwing debates his options. He could:

A) Keep pestering until he got beaten into a pulp as if he were Starscream.

B) Ask Soundwave to convince him.

C) Admit defeat.

"C" was never going to happen, the bulky flier felt obligated to make sure his leader was in 100% tip-top shape. "B" could work, but Soundwave wasn't currently in the room. So, "A" would have to work.

"Lord Megatron, I swear on my spark this will only take up a small portion of your time. After that, you may return to your work, unbothered." Dreadwing waited for the argument, the fist coming towards his helm . . . but nothing came. He looked up from the floor in surprise, only to find Megatron standing closer to him, quietly.

"If you are so adamant about it," Megatron answered, rolling his optics. In reality, he didn't feel like . . . putting up a fight. His own intense, rose red optics widened in realization. Luckily, the shorter mech did not notice as he bowed, and stepped aside so his lordship could pass.

Maybe after this, Megatron would check on you too.