Chapter 35: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend

The snow had melted and signs of spring were beginning to show. By now I should have ditched Tyler and had the happy ending I'd always wanted with Luke, but I was compelled to stay with him. I was drawn to him like a female mosquito to human blood. I thought it might be the want for a thrill (the good girl and bad boy sort of thing), but I felt a genuine connection with him. Luke knew how I felt about my mom, but Tyler understands. We both felt like we were abandoned, but Tyler obviously had it worse than me. His dad was barely in the picture. From the moment Tyler could support himself, he did. He didn't want to rely on his dad for anything. As much as I knew how much he hated pity, I couldn't help but offer him mine. If I didn't have my dad, I don't know what I would do.

I couldn't let either of them go. I knew it was wrong to lead them both on like this, but I just couldn't choose. They were both too important to me, and I knew if I picked, one would have to disappear from my life. If I chose Luke, I knew Tyler would just disappear after graduation. If I chose Tyler, Luke would resent me and our friendship, if there was one, would disintegrate. If I made a decision, I would lose someone very important to me.

Tonight was movie night with Luke. It wasn't just movie night, though; it was also date night. We hadn't done movie night in a while. I was either too busy or he was too busy or we were just too busy together. Things felt different now. Luke actually offered to do things, like make the popcorn, instead of ordering me to do it while he just lounged on his behind.

"Do you need a blanket?" he asked.

I wasn't feeling cold, but I liked having a protective cover in case we were watching a scary movie. It was Luke's turn to pick, so I wouldn't put it past him to choose a horror film. He would just love the fact that I would cling to him. "Yes, please."

He ran upstairs to get the comforter off his bed and draped it across me.

"Thanks."

He grinned. "You're welcome."

"So can I pick the movie?" I asked.

"Fat chance. It's my turn."

"But...please?"

"Sorry, Charlie."

"Can't blame a girl for trying," I mumbled, pulling the blanket closer to me. It smelled like Luke, but then again, who else would it smell like?

I saw him shuffle through the tower of DVDs. His blonde hair was slightly messed up yet still perfect, and the tag on the back of his shirt was sticking out. I loved knowing that if I wanted him, I could have him. The only thing standing in the way of us was me and my own stupid indecisiveness. That would be an obstacle in itself, and I hated knowing that I was the only one who could overcome it. I hated overcoming things, not that I did it often...

"What did you decide on?" I asked, contorting my body so I could see the DVD that was in his hand.

"You'll find out sooner or later."

"Aw, come on! Just tell me."

"Patience, Charlie. That's a valuable life skill to have."

I rolled my eyes. "And what? You're going to teach me it?"

"Patience cannot be taught, Charlie. It must be practiced."

"You're annoying and you sound like a fortune cookie."

He inserted the DVD, turned around, and waggled his eyebrows. "Do you like fortune cookies?"

I threw a pillow at him. "Just hurry up and come cuddle with me."