Chapter 39: Headlights

Dedicated to The_Fallen_Rose for winning the Tyler Award in the one-shot competition. Banner by TINAballerina476.

---

Chapter 39: Headlights

Despite numerous insecurities, Tyler and I felt confident about our relationship. Luke, on the other hand, still hadn't tried to talk to me. I didn't know if I should talk to him first or if I should give him a little time, but I couldn't stand not having him around. My days felt a little duller without his stupid remarks, and sometimes I regretted not choosing him. I knew that I didn't love him romantically anymore, but I missed him. I wanted him and Tyler to get along and be friends, even if that did mean more mockery, but I knew that was a lot to ask for from both of them.

I sucked it up and went over to his house. If he didn't feel like talking, all he had to do was say so and I would leave him alone and give him space. He was in his room, his music cranked to the highest possible volume, laying on his bed. I went over to his stereo and turned it down. "Hey, Luke," I said.

He sighed. "Hey, Charlie."

"Can we talk?"

"We are talking."

I sighed. I didn't like it when he was blowing me off yet not. "I'm sorry, Luke..."

He shrugged. "I was too late. It's not a big deal."

"But we're still friends, right?"

"Of course. I just need a little time to get used to the idea of you and Tyler together. Can you do that for me?"

I nodded. If that was what it would take to fix our friendship, I could do that. "Anything, Luke. I treasure our friendship too much to just let it go."

"I keep trying to pretend that it's all better, but it's not working out so well." He laughed humorlessly, and his eyes were dead. The sparkle was no longer there.

I didn't know how to respond to him, so I just asked, "Do you need anything?"

"I'm all right, Charlie. I'm not dying or anything."

I smiled. "Good. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Your life would be boring."

"I love you, Luke."

"I love you too, Charlie."

***

I was a little apprehensive about going over to Tyler's alone, but I figured if we were at a reasonable distance from each other and didn't start making out, we would be fine. We were watching one of Tyler's favorite movies (they were all the same to me, so I never remembered the name) when he got a call from one of his friends. I paused the movie and sat up straight when the look on his face got serious. "Okay...yeah...I'll be right there."

Once his phone call ended, I asked, "Who was that?"

"A friend. I need to bail him out of jail."

My eyes widened. I knew he was dangerous, but it never occurred to me that he had rebellious friends. Actually, I didn't even realize he had friends. I sort of assumed he was just a loner, which made me feel like a terrible person. "Who is it?"

"It's no one you know." That just made it twenty times fishier.

"What did he do?"

"He just broke into a couple of buildings. No big deal."

"Not a big deal!?" How was that not a big deal? It seriously made me question what Tyler and his friends did to entertain themselves. I didn't want to be involved with someone who wrecked other people's property for a buzz.