Chapter 40: Wake-Up Call

Fan Art by Mikaela. I LOVE getting fan art, so if you're just doodling in class, email me a pic (laughterandjynx@gmail.com) and you'll see it featured on one of the chapters!

---

Chapter 40: Wake-Up Call

"Holy shit." Those were the last words I heard before Tyler threw himself on me and the cars collided.

I was still conscious when the emergency vehicles came. First police cars, then ambulances. I escaped the crash with a few bruises and cuts, nothing too serious. Tyler, on the other hand, was unresponsive when the paramedics checked him. I was a hysterical mess when I realized his heavy body wouldn't budge and he wasn't answering my questions.

"Tyler, are you okay?" Of course he's not okay, you idiot.

I was like a gnarled and knotted ball of yarn that would not come undone. Thinking clearly was out of the question for me and all I thought about was making sure Tyler was all right. Since I was clearly awake and functioning, Tyler and the other driver were checked before I was. I didn't even want to look at the other driver. Part of it was due to guilt and some of it was because of anger. If they had taken Tyler away from me, I would not be a happy Charlotte. I was curious to find out who they were because while Addison wasn't a large town, strangers definitely existed, whether they were due to a missed meeting or distant memories.

There was blood splattered across the seats and I realized that I still hadn't done anything to stop the blood flow from my nether regions. That seemed like the least of troubles, but I would still feel comfortable knowing that I had something to stop it. It wasn't as if it mattered. No one except for Tyler and I knew.

When we got to the hospital, Tyler and the other driver were taken away. Although I assured the doctors that I was fine, they insisted on doing a thorough scan to see if I had broken any bones. I didn't know how I was going to explain this to Dad. He would be all right with the lie had it not led to a car crash.

I wanted to see Tyler, but he was in critical care. The doctor informed me that the other driver was too. I wasn't allowed to see him until I got the okay from a medical professional, and I feared that day would never come. He had to be all right. He just had to. I sat on a bench after my scans, waiting for someone to show me my results. Somehow, my phone had survived the crash. I had one missed call from Luke. I listened to his voicemail, hoping it was some good news. After all that had happened, I needed it.

"Hey, Charlie. It's Luke. I just want to say that I love you so much. I know you're in a relationship, and I'm happy for you, but I needed to say that for my sake. I've decided to stop being selfish and let you go live your life. I'm sorry I could never be the guy you deserve—"

I heard a loud crash coming from my phone's speaker and Luke's voice was cut off. My eyes widened. It couldn't...I was too concentrated on making sure that Tyler and I were okay that I never actually thought about who the other driver was. I didn't put two and two together. Though somewhat dark, I remembered the outline of his car. In critical condition...Both of my boys could be gone, and it was all of my fault.

Somehow, I had been strong until I heard Luke's voice. There were no tears when the car crashed, just shock. I could've cried, but it was too unreal. It still was, but hearing the replay of the events that occurred just moments ago solidified it. I needed to see Luke. I needed to make sure he would recover.

I held my phone in my hands, stroking the smooth glass ever so carefully. It was selfish of me to not ask who the other driver was. I knew I wasn't scared of it being someone I knew, much less someone who I was close to. I was terrified to know that someone could be hurt because not knowing could be worse than reality to put on my plate. I still didn't want to know, but it would kill me if I didn't. If something happened to him, to any of them, it would be all of my fault. If I told anyone it was my fault, they would say something along the lines of "you weren't driving" or "you didn't make Luke go out." One decision could've prevented any of this from happening. I could've chosen to not go behind my dad's back. I could've chosen Luke. I could've not gotten involved with any of the boys except for Luke. I could've done one thing different to prevent my world from potentially crashing.