Chapter 38: Old McDonald Had a Char

Dedicated to FF_DoctorDestiel for the last chapter title. 

--- 

Chapter 38: Old McDonald Had a Char

I didn't exactly want to go back to Tyler's house—it was too soon for that—but I refused to be left in the dark about this. Unlike the rest of the student body, I didn't care to speculate about what had happened, especially if it involved me. I prepared myself for the entire drive. I knew what I was going to say, how I was going to say it, and what I was going to do. However, that went through the window when I discovered who was actually there. 

I could never forget that face, that hair, or those eyes. Sometimes I would still get nightmares about them and about that night. Ryan Boyer was sitting on the steps with Tyler. They looked pretty deep in conversation. Tyler looked as distressed as ever, not that I cared, and Ryan looked carefree. Whatever they were talking about, I was sure the little weasel had the upperhand. I debated backing out and coming back later, but they already seen me. Ryan, a large, smug grin waved me over, and I was tempted to run him over with my car. I looked to Tyler for confirmation as it was his house, and he simply just shrugged. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to them, making sure to stay closer to Tyler than to Ryan. Tyler may have been a douche, but he wasn't a creep.

"Charlotte," Ryan said. I winced at his voice, flashing back to the party.

I nodded. Looking to Tyler, I asked if we could talk.

Tyler looked at Ryan. "Do you mind?"

Ryan looked unhappy about it. Through gritted teeth and shifty eyes, he said, "We're not through talking," and retreated into the house.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" Tyler asked.

"Is it true? You slept with Hannah?"

Eyes glued to the ground, he murmured, "Yes."

"Then why did you go after me? Why not tell everyone that you won?"

"Because someone would've gotten to you had I not intercepted."

Although I couldn't make eye contact with him, I attempted to study him. I could sense there was something he wasn't tell me. He was usually blatant and upfront about everything, but he seemed almost timid. "Why Ryan? You know what he almost did to me."

"Ryan...Ryan is..."

"He's what?"

"He's my cousin."

"So, what? You wanted to help him gain a reputation?"

He shook his head. "He wanted me to go after you."

"Why? Because I wouldn't sleep with him?"

"Charlotte, it goes much farther back than that night."

"But I didn't even know him before that."

He shook his head. "According to him, you did."

"What are you talking about?"

This visit wasn't helping my confusion at all. "I think I'd better let him explain it."

"Don't leave me alone with him!" I screamed, pulling his hand down. 

"I'll be just outside the door, Summers. All you have to do is shout."

When Ryan came out, I looked behind to see if I could catch a glimpse of Tyler. I saw the tip of his huge toes, which reassured me. Ryan sat next to me, a little too close for my liking. "Charlotte..." he said, reaching for my knee.