Chapter 33: Lady and the Luke

Dedicated to ThoraDesaga1, who wrote a song called "Keep Back, Casanova" based on The Last Virgin Standing. Check it out in the external link. If you can't find that, go to her profile, and it's in her "No Longer Innocent" book/album. If anyone decides to record themselves singing it, I'd love to hear it!

 ---

Chapter 33: Lady and the Luke

A week had passed and Tyler had made minimal contact with me. Ian wasn't even attempting to chase me down anymore, which made me a little sad. Luke, on the other hand, was always there. Except for the classes we didn't have together, he was glued to my side, catering to my every whim. It wasn't annoying to me. He was my best friend and I enjoyed his company.

"Where were you during lunch?" I asked Luke.

"You'll find out eventually," he replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Just...how was your lunch?"

I looked at him suspiciously. "Fine, I guess. It's as good as school lunch is."

"It's not that bad."

"I know," I sighed. "It's just not as good as McDonald's."

"You have low expectations."

I entered in the combination to my locker, twisting the dial haphazardly. I let out a growl of frustration and curled my hand up into a fist and hit it angrily, satisfied with hearing the resonating sound of clattering metal.  

"Give the poor locker some mercy!" Luke cried.

"The locker needs to learn to open on the first time!"

"You do realize that it's an inanimate object, right?"

"Yes. You're the one who thinks it's alive and can feel things."

"It could have emotions. Don't be so narrow-minded, Charlie. Do you want me to put it in for you?"

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. I've got it."

A bouquet of flowers sat on top of my locker shelf. I immediately pulled it out, not wanting anything to smash the delicate buds. I glanced over at Luke, who was beaming at me. "Is this your work?"

"Technically, it's the florist's, but I paid for them."

"When did you put these in here?"

"Lunch. It was a pain trying to find your combination."

"Where did you get it?"

"In the bottom of your backpack." He pulled out a crumpled half-sheet of paper from the side pocket of his backpack. "This is yours."

I took it. "Thanks. So what's the occasion?"

"Charlotte Summers, will you go on a date with me?"

I laughed. "This sounds like a marriage proposal?"

"That'll come later."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure, Luke. I'd love to go on a date with you."

I didn't know how I said those words so calmly because I was freaking out on the inside. I had waited what seemed like eternity for this moment. I was going on a date with Luke. I mean, it was just the guy I had been crushing on for the last decade or so.

For the rest of the day, my smile never faded. At this point, I didn't think it ever would.

***