The Windy Gate

Lilly and Araka stood before the foreboding black and violet domicile. The crystalline palace rose from the windy plains, comprised entirely of obsidian and gemstones. The volcanic rock was hewn from the earth by magic and brought here from far away. The gemstones gleaming at the height of each tower were acquired similarly.

Two long crooked spires rose from the pace of the palace. They intersected one another's paths to create a sinister appearing entryway. Where they rose from the wall of the palace, a small triangular threshold could be seen.

Two avian guards, wings folded against their backs, stood beneath the looming spires. They were stern, their eyes unblinking. The wind tugged at their feathers and minuscule garbs, ruffling and rumpling both respectively.

"What purpose do you have within the Whisperwind Palace? Make it known or enter not" the black feathered guard commanded.

Lilly addressed them together, "We have come to speak with Kriak and Vasha. We have a warning for them."

"The Brother and Sister are preoccupied with their duties. They have no time to converse with unimportant travelers. They would never heed the words of some tigress", the hawk with a cracked beak scoffed.

"Our ancient alliance ended on unpleasant terms, but that does not negate the importance of my words. Shatterspear marches here to lay waste to your people", Lilly, worry beginning to resonate within her voice.

"Shatterspear waged petty wars and meaningless conflicts for years. He insulted and angered those around him, but never vied for the domination of others. What makes you so certain of his goal", the avian asked, a slight whistle of air escaping with every word.

"He is one day from your gate. He will stand before it and demand the service of all hawks within your lands. If he does not receive what he desires he will slaughter everyone, but a small remainder of your people. I am Tigerlilly Bloodsong and I know this before my father gleefully informed me of his plans", there was a burning determination within Lilly. She felt confident in her ability to convince them an audience with the Brother and Sister.

The one possessing feathers of charcoal spoke, "Why should we trust your words? You have also told us your father is the would be warlord. That does not instill me with trust."

"I revile my father as many do. He is a hateful being that has instilled me with fear.  He would kill me if he learned I spoke this of him.  I seek his downfall before he can cause unforgettable damage to this world."

The guardsmen were skeptical of the tigress's words. However, it was their duty to protect the Whisperwind Palace and the Windwalker tribe. They couldn't disregard a threat of conquest, even if it seemed unlikely.  Her people were also once their allies.

"The guards within the palace expect all those who enter to possess a silver band", explained the bird whose beak was blemished.

He removed from his thick yellow taloned finger a small silver band. It was simple, bearing no markings. It glinted in the violet light and the milky glow of the moon overhead. He extended his hand-talon forward, the ring resting in the center of his palm.

Lilly accepted the symbol of her father, scooping it into her massive hand-paw. She clenched it tightly between her fingers, as they were too wide to allow her to wear it.

Araka and Lilly passed between the guards and approached the entrance. Their foot-paws and foot-claws created strength sounds as they stepped upon the obsidian steps. They crossed beneath the small squared threshold, entering a long narrow hall. Small violet nodes provided the interior with purple light.

Energy flowed through the walls of the structure. The companions found their bodies tingling with an unfamiliar sensation. The abundant presence of magical power was the source of this newfound experience.

Araka posed a question to Lilly, "What shall we say to Kriak and Vasha?"

"We will tell them what we tell all others when they ask. We shall inform them of my father's intentions and the threat he poses to all people. Fear is a powerful force", Lilly stated, grim tone in her voice.

"The hawks use logic and reason to determine their actions. No other race is as pragmatic as they are. What if they do not believe your father intends to conquer Drema?"

"We will convince them of his intentions, for the sake of every hawk living within their lands..."