The Council of Storms

Lilly could walk without aid after several hours of resting. Araka strode alongside her, guiding the feline towards the council's hut. The tigress and the crocodile had agreed to listen to the council before they created any plans of their own.  However, they decided to seize any advantages they could.

Carefully placed torches created unsettling shadows. Their flickering light washed over the spindly trees nearby.  A mysterious aura lingered over the town as almost everyone slept.  Only the council seemed to now be awake as they approached their well lit hut.

The decaying structure was the largest one in the village.  Its walls were rounded, wide and squat with several beaded windows.  A large opening unfurled from the center of the roof, allowing white smoke to drift into the marshy air.  It smelled sweet, reminiscent of green petals and hibiscus flowers.

Araka pushed through the hanging orbs protecting the threshold.  The intensified scent of flowers invaded their noses as he did.

Five figures sat on cushions, an orange glow illuminating their forms.  The first elder was a woman with green and blue scales, brilliantly painted.  The second was a male with course ones, puckered and torn in various places.

The fourth crocodile was another female, possessing scales as white as fresh fallen snow.  The fourth was a male whose left hand was missing.  Lengthy scars encircled the flesh of his forearm, gifts from the beast that had stolen his hand-claw.

The fifth council member was a woman as well, and appeared to be the youngest among them.  To complete their circle sat three unoccupied cushions.  Lilly and Araka sat beside one another, eliminating two of them.

"My name is Sirlan, and we are all grateful you survived the Swift River", spoke the albino elder.  Lilly smiled, also grateful she had survived the rushing waters of that river.  Death would not have been the escape she desired for.

The rough hided and battle hardened one said, "We must return you to your father.  A scout came to us and informed us where he would be making camp."

"If you depart within the hour and travel through the night you will reach Shatterspear's encampment by morning", explained Zutheg, the crocodile possessing only one hand-claw.

"We will provide you with what supplies we can afford", stated Mekri, the dye embellished one.

"She may be capable in many ways, but Tigerlilly does not know the land as well as I do.  I should accompany her to her father", Araka spoke up.

Whether or not Lilly was well versed in geography mattered not.  The crocodile had potentially won them an advantage.

The council members turned to one another, sharing glances of agreement.  "Excellent idea Araka.  You will her to Shatterspear and ensure her safe arrival", Sirlan declared with a smile.

"We are grateful for whatever you are willing to offer.  We shall retrieve them after Tigerlilly and I have planned our route.  We will not take long", informed Araka.

Sirlan nodded to Mekri, Zutheg and the other members before speaking, "Kadraf will be waiting for you at the supply hut."  Araka turned towards the grizzled reptile, who offered him rough smile.

"Thank you for your kindness and hospitality", the tigress thanked.

Araka began to stand, prompting Lilly to do the same.  The night air enveloped them as they departed from the chamber.

Lilly cast a curious glance toward her newfound friend.  She wondered what his plan would be.  Soon she would have her answer as Araka would certainly reveal it when they arrived at his hut.