8. Doing Something Stupid

Luca's P.O.V.

I just stare, confused, at the door, she left through. The eyes of everyone at the table turn to me as if I would have the answers. I just shake my head, as bewildered as them. I get up and jog to the door in time to watch her car speed off down the road.

If you could consider me curious about her before, now I'm highly intrigued. She's as strange as it gets and I love it. It's really refreshing compared to the people I'm normally around. She's just got something about her that's off. Something that goes deeper than that nerdy exterior.

I just hope she comes back soon so I can find some more answers, she's entertaining.

I turn back to the table and shrug. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain her to them. I can't even explain her to myself.

<3

Nix's P.O.V.

I just drove around for a while and ended up parking at a dog park at the edge of town until late at night. When I thought everyone would be asleep, I headed back. I just needed space for a while. I guess my nerves just got to be too much for me.

I got "home" at about 12:30 am and noticed something odd. Neither Luca nor Nate's cars were in the drive. I assumed they'd be asleep now or at least tucked away in their room. They must be more like me than I'd originally believed.

I stepped out of my vehicle just as Nate was pulling into the driveway. I heard the engine cut off and his car door open. He stepped out as well and we made eye contact with me before I spoke.

"Hey, Nathan. Where were you at such a late time?" I questioned, curious if his excuse would be more interesting then mine.

"I could ask you the same. And call me Nate, I've always preferred the shorter version."

"Touché." I smile.

I guess Nate wasn't one for long conversations because he spoke again, "Well, night Phoenix," and jogged away to the front door. When I turned back around, Luca pulling in the drive as well. Honestly, perfect timing.

"What were you doing out so late?!" Umm... I feel like something is repeating... Except for this time a bit more hostile.

"Why do you care?" I ask him, glaring at him for his tone of voice.

"Because when you stay under my roof, I feel responsible for you. If you disappear, it's my fault. Emily already warned me of your tendencies to run off." He spoke strongly.

"Are you saying I'm a flight risk? Like one day I'll just up and leave?" For some reason, I felt insulted by that. I would never just ditch without warning. Well, at least I'd tell Emily and Bentley. They actually know of my plans to disappear as soon as I get my trust fund. I want out of this town and away from all these memories. They'll be the only ones to know of my disappearance, but Lucas would eventually find out form them.

"Definitely. I mean, you're already planning on being a pussy and ditching town soon as you get your fund anyway. Who's to say you won't do it early?" He growled.

"What did you just say to me?" I said slowly.

"You heard exactly what I said. Emily told me what you're planning to do; running away from all your problems like a coward. You can't just run away from everything bad in your life. That's not how life works. Any time you get remotely scared or nervous, you ditch." And how would someone who doesn't even know me know that?

"How dare you-"

He cut me off, "How dare I what? Point out the truth? I got it from pretty great source. Did you know your best friend has quite the mouth? Somehow that short conversation taught me quite a bit about your fight or flight response and yo-"