27. Bullet Hole in my Chest or not, I'll put you Six Feet Deep

Author's note: I think the song In my Veins by Andrew Belle is perfectttttt for Phoenix and Lucas so go listen to that <3

Lucas' P.O.V.

I watched in horror as the bullet buried itself in the best thing that ever happened to me. I felt the weight of the world crash down around me as my feet started running without me telling them to. The future I craved so much could disappear in an instant.

I got to her side in seconds. Somewhere in my mind I could hear myself barking orders to call an ambulance. Who those orders were to, I have no idea and I didn't care either. I just needed to be here with her. I could feel tears slip down my cheeks in streams.

Moments started flashing through my mind in a breeze. You know how they say when you're dying, you'll see your life flash before your eyes? Well Nix was my life, and I could feel her slipping away as fast as melting ice in the summer, soon to just be a memory.

I remembered holding her on the beach as she cried in my arms. She was so weak in that moment, relying on me to be her rock.

I remembered the pain I felt those days she'd gone missing. I destroyed myself piece by piece with every second. The more I missed her, the more I hated myself. When she found her way back, it was like a jump start to my heart, giving me the ability to be happy again.

I remembered the sparks that flew when I was kissing her in the car before the carnival. The heat and the passion between us, I'd never felt anything like it. Her hunger and need for me in that moment made me feel like I was on top of the world, a king among his subjects.

This one girl brings out both the best and the worst in me. She has taught me how to live in the moment, how to forgive, how to be strong. She's taken me in her arms and stripped me down to my weakest, showing who I truly was and then she's built me back up to be a better person. Without her, I'm worthless. I can't lose her...

I hear sirens in the distance. Everyone but our group has already left, leaving the place fairly vacant and quiet aside from my sobs.

"I love you, it'll be okay... I love you so much, just don't leave me. You promised you would marry me and you haven't yet so don't you fucking leave me!" I yelled, knowing she couldn't hear me. It was mostly to try and calm myself down so I could think straight. I pulled my hand from her chest where I had been trying to stop the bleeding. My hand was covered in a deep red color.

God help me. Wherever you are, don't let me lose her. Don't take her away...

Paramedics arrived and came to where I was sitting on the ground with Nix. They took her up on a gurney and I tried to follow but I was stopped by one of the paramedics, "You can't go with since her condition is as bad as it is!"

"No! You're not making me leave her! I will not let you make me leave her!" My defiance was useless though, they weren't letting me go with and that's that.

As soon as the ambulance started pulling away, I was in Rayne and driving off with the others close on my tail, including one of the drivers that had stayed along with a brown haired girl. I don't know them though.

If she dies, she takes my soul with her. I won't have any other reason to stay alive. I guess that makes my decision, if she dies, I die too. I won't live without her. As selfish as that sounds, I can't. I just can't live without waking up to her beautiful brown hair all over our pillows. I couldn't survive without being able to feel her kiss. Everything would be dull.

I park the car terribly and just barely think to lock it before sprinting inside the hospital. The ambulance must've gotten here maybe ten minutes before me. The lady at the front desk behind the counter gives a panicked expression at the sight of six teenagers running in all at once. "H-how may I hel-" she starts.