2. Toast

Word Count: 3344

Nix's P.O.V.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of voices yelling downstairs. I groaned, I know the owners of those voices; Emily Waters, and Bentley Camp. I slipped from my sheets and trudged out of my room, away from my wonderful bed, and to the top of the stairs. The view I received was of Bentley and Emily in the kitchen, shouting and waving their arms around.

"That was my toast!" Emily screamed, clearly shaken up by the loss of her breakfast delight.

"Well, you shouldn't have left it unattended." Bentley calmly spoke, carefully chewing the last of his meal. "By the way, thanks for the meal." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"You know some people are sleeping on a Saturday morning." I interrupted. "And Em, if you didn't want it stolen you should have kept it safe. You are in a house with that pig." I gestured to Bentley. "He eats everything in his path."

"I see grouchy's up. How was your beauty sleep, princess?" Bentley smiled, referring to my disheveled hair and taking no offense whatsoever to my calling him a pig.

"What are you two doing here at 7 am on Saturday morning?" I grumble. "Have you ever heard of privacy?"

"Nope, never. I was just bored. I'm not sure of her excuse." He shrugs and walks over to the living room portion of the room, flopping down on the couch.

I turn to Emily for her response, "And I wanted to help you get ready for the party tonight! We have to go shopping for your dress and shoes!" She looks so excited only making me all the more nervous. And I don't mean for the party. I mean for the shopping.

Shopping. Ew.

I have to do everything in my power to convince her to postpone it. We cannot go this early. We'd be shopping all day if we did! "Emily. Do you not realize that it's 7 AM? We can shop later, I mean, we have all day after all."

She thinks for a moment, "We can shop later," I get excited, "But we're going to shop now too!" Excitement gone. Emily just smiled. To me, it looked like more of an evil grin than a genuine smile. She knows how much I hate shopping. "Now go get dressed for the mall. We leave in thirty minutes." She flips her hair and joins the pig on the couch who has been smiling at this encounter.

I scrunch my brows, "That's not even long enough for a shower!" I like to enjoy my time in the shower so I got in the habit of taking forty-five-minute showers. Horrible, I know, but it just feels so nice.

She shrugs, "That's not my problem. Now hurry up. Clock's ticking." I ran up the stairs not hearing the last thing she said after that. I grabbed dark blue ripped skinny jeans and a stonewashed gray shirt before running into the bathroom. In record time, I finished my shower with ten minutes to spare. I pulled on my DC high tops and grabbed my snapback as I ran out the bedroom door to meet Emily.

"Was that fast enough for you?" I asked when I reached the bottom of the stairs. "Yes. Perfect timing." She smiled. "Bentleys downstairs playing on your PS4. He said he was going to do that all day. So he's not coming with." She skipped out the door and to the truck.

"Why does he get to miss this and I don't?" I grumble.

"Well, he's not a girl in need of some nice clothes. All your clothes have rips whether that be on purpose or accidental. Some are even covered in paint. We definitely won't be able to find party worthy clothes in that horror of a closet while in his closet, there might just be something decent."

True I guess

I got in the passenger's seat of her truck and turned the radio on. Fall for you by secondhand serenade played slowly through the trucks terrible speakers occasionally giving off some clicking noise signaling the speakers were clearly damaged somehow. I considered telling her to get it checked out like yesterday but then realized the conversation would go the exact same way and speaking would be useless.