Chapter 20

Talia’s P.O.V:

I started to pack my bag for my trip to Sydney; I didn’t pack much just a few pairs of clothes, shoes and other essentials. Luke was due to come over in a minute, we agreed that he would sleep over the night before so it wouldn’t be such a rush the next morning to go and pick him up. I was exhausted. I spent the past week dancing my heart out, making sure I knew every move and got everything right, I didn’t want to stuff this up. Our flight was at 7am and we had to be at the airport by 5:30am, Anthony’s coming with us as well because mum didn’t really like the idea of me and Luke alone together in another state. I heard the doorbell ring and I walked to the front door to answer it. Luke greeted me with a kiss on the cheek and we walked into my room.

Luke: So are you all packed?

Talia: Yeah pretty much

Luke: You know were only staying overnight so don’t bother packing lots of stuff

Talia: Yes mum

Luke: Are you nervous?

Talia: A bit, I’ve been practising all week but I’m not sure if it’s enough

Luke: Don’t worry, you’ll be great

Talia: Do you wanna put on a movie?

Luke: Yeah sure, project X?

Talia: You read my mind

Luke’s P.O.V:

Throughout the whole movie, Talia was snuggled up to me with the blanket on top of us. I could tell she was really tired but wanted to watch the movie, when it finished I looked down and she had just drifted off to sleep. I didn’t want to wake up her because she looked so peaceful, so I picked her up and carried her into her bed.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of Talia’s alarm, it was 5am. I heard her groan and slowly roll on her side to face me, I gave her a small smile but I was still half asleep. I got up and changed into jeans and a jumper, Talia did the same. We didn’t have time for breakfast because we decided to have a bit of a sleep in and grab Maccas at the airport. We walked out with our bags into the lounge room and waited for Anthony to grab the keys so we could head off to the airport.

Talia’s P.O.V:

After we’d finished eating our Maccas, we headed off to gate 12 to sit and wait for our flight to be called. It was pretty busy for 6:45am in the morning; I guess a lot of people preferred the early morning flights. As they called our flight number, we all stood up and walked through the terminal. I took my seat on the plane, next to Luke and Anthony.

Talia: Can we swap seats?

Luke: Why?

Talia: Because I want the window side

Anthony: Talia you used to be scared of sitting by the window

Talia: I was 6 and I was afraid of heights alright

About an hour and a half past and we landed at Sydney airport, throughout the whole plane ride I was watching the sunrise amongst the clouds. It was really beautiful. We got off the plane and headed straight to get taxi to our hotel, we only had carryon bags because we weren’t staying for long in Sydney. When we arrived at the hotel, it was 9:45am only an hour and 15 minutes until my audition. I didn’t really feel the nervous this morning, until now. I un packed a few things and got dressed into my dance clothes, we were going out to dinner tonight and flying home lunch time tomorrow.

The National Academy of Dance wasn’t too far away from where our hotel was, about a 10 minute drive. Anthony booked a cab to come and pick us up, we didn’t bother hiring a car as we were only staying overnight. When we arrived at the academy there looked to be around 40-50 girls warming up, that’s when I started to shake. The boys looked over to me and could tell I was getting cold feet about this.

Luke: Stop shaking, you’re going to be amazing I just know it

Anthony: Calm down Talia, just focus you’ve got this

Talia: I can’t do this

Luke: You’ve worked too hard, don’t back out now

Anthony: Go warm up, you might relax a little

Talia: Okay

I walked into the studio and put my bag down in the corner, I looked around at all the other girls. So much skinner than me, so much more flexible but then I remembered everything that Luke had told me. That I was beautiful and good enough but not only did he say it, he showed it to me as well. I started stretching and Anthony was right, I started to calm a little.

Teacher: Excuse me ladies, when I call out your name and number, please take a bib to put on so we know who you are when you’re dancing. Once you’ve collected your bib, wait outside for your name to be called.

I was number 14, my lucky number. I walked back outside of the studio to Luke and Anthony who were sitting on a bench. I quickly grabbed my phone off Luke and checked my messages, one from Danielle, Liana, Jai, Beau, James and Skip. They all pretty much said the same thing, but it was the thought that counts and I appreciated their support so much. I had to wait around 20 minutes for my name to be called but I stayed calm and waited patiently. When they finally called my name, Luke and Anthony gave me a hug and wished me luck. I walked into the studio and gave the teacher my CD telling her to play track 2. This was it.