23. I Think I Like It

Chapter 23: I Think I Like It

Greyson’s Point of View

I strode down the hallway and went straight to my first class, ignoring the few people who greeted me as I passed. My mind was in shock; I was still having trouble fathoming what had happened in the truck. They were really back together? What happened to Bren’s so-called pride? Why the sudden change of heart?

Walking into English, I saw Grace was already at her seat. Maybe she’d know something.

“Hey.” I took the seat next to her.

“Hi, Grey.” She looked over at me. Her curly auburn hair was pulled back with a headband revealing her porcelain-like cheeks and chocolaty brown eyes. She wore a grey school sweatshirt and dark wash jeans.

“So,” I started not really sure what to say, “do you know how Bren went from insisting she had too much pride to date Sterling to being back together with him?”

Her eyes widened, her lips curved. “They’re dating now? Since when?”

I sighed mentally. She was apparently all for this as well. “I guess since last night. I found out on the car ride to school this morning.”

Grace let out a girlish squeal. “They’re gonna be so cute together!”

Shaking my head, I refrained from saying the thoughts crossing my mind. She’d find out soon enough.

Nate walked in at that moment giving me a reason to return to my seat. Normally, I liked talking to Grace, but if she was going to go on and on about how great this was, I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle it.

I took a seat in my normal spot and set my backpack next to my desk. Turning to greet Nate, I saw he was already looking at me, an odd look in his green eyes.

“What?” I asked.

He smirked. “You seem to be spending a lot of time with Ginger over there lately. How do you even know her?”

“First of all, her name is Grace, not Ginger,” I told him with a steely glare. “And she’s one of Sterling’s friends.”

“Ah.” He looked disappointed. “She’s one of those girls.”

Anger began to spread throughout my body. When I spoke, my voice was a bit louder and harsher than I intended. “No, she’s not. She’s nothing like that. They’re just friends.”

“Sterling just friends with a girl. That’s great, Grey.” Nate laughed obnoxiously, the way he always does.

I resisted the urge to punch him. “It’s true. And it better stay that way considering he’s dating Bren now.”

The laughter ceased, and his eyes widened. “What? They’re dating again? Since when?”

I have to explain this again? It's going to be a long day. "Since last night."

"How the hell did that happen? I never thought Bren would be dumb enough to get back with him."

"I don't know.” I sighed. "I didn't think she was either."

Mr. Johnson started taking attendance, and we remained silent for the rest of the class, neither of us in the mood to talk.

Finally the bell rang, and we all stood up to leave, more than ready to be done with this boring class. As I headed towards the door, I felt a small, familiar hand grab my arm.

“Grey, wait.”

I turned to see Grace, and I hung back to let people pass by us. “Yeah?”

She looked up at me with those big brown eyes of hers. “I heard you talking to Nate. Why are you guys so against Bren and Sterling dating?”