17. You Belong With Me

Chapter 17: You Belong With Me

Greyson's Point of View

I strode into the school building as confident as could be. I could do this. She’s going to say yes. Then I saw her.

She was leaning into her locker, her golden hair hiding her face from my view. But it didn’t matter that I couldn’t see all of her; my heart started beating faster, my palms grew sweaty. For the first time in my life, I was nervous and uncomfortable around her and she didn’t even realize I was there yet.

I’m not sure what made me take that first step towards her, but one step led to two and two to three until I reached her side.

“Grey!” Bren greeted, throwing her slender arms around me. “Two more days and we’re not grounded anymore!”

I somehow managed to wrap my arms around her as well and returned the hug. “Yeah, I know.”

She let go of me and grabbed the rest of the things from her locker before slamming it shut. I stood there awkwardly, knowing I should say something, but I didn’t know how to start. My mind was buzzing with random words but nothing was the least bit coherent.

“Well, we should probably head up to my class,” Bren suggested, much calmer now.

I nodded in agreement because words seemed to still be just out of reach. We strolled through the hallway for a moment before anything was said.

“You know, I’m not pleased with Carson being my future stepbrother, but my dad is happier than I’ve ever seen him. So, I’m simply gonna have to suck it up and be the bigger person, I guess,” Bren confided in me, a slight smile on her face.

The mention of Carson caused me to switch gears entirely. Words were suddenly at my disposal once again. “That’s a great way to think about it, but remember what I said. If he tries anything again, let me know.”

Her smile grew. “You know I will, Grey. I tell you, like, everything.”

“Good.”

I made the mistake of looking at her again. My heart raced, and I couldn’t think straight. I was like a prepubescent boy who was crushing on a girl for the first time.

“I’ll see you in a while.” Bren’s voice sounded, causing me to focus on my surroundings. We had already reached her classroom.

“Uh, yeah,” I managed to stammer. “I’ll see you later.”

I turned around quickly, almost tripping over my own two feet, but I kept walking as if nothing had happened. I mentally cursed myself the whole way to English. What the hell was wrong with me? I couldn’t even talk to my best friend, the girl I told everything to. All I had to do was ask her a simple question. It shouldn’t be this bloody difficult.

I sat down in my normal spot, but I was one of the only people in the room. Mr. Johnson was already seated at his desk clicking away at his computer. I didn’t have to wait long before Nate joined me.

“How’d it go?” He wore a cheesy grin.

I didn’t answer right away, and the smile slowly slipped off his face. Who wants to say they chickened out? “I, uh, didn’t ask her yet.”

Nate reached over and smacked me in the back of the head. “Dude, seriously?”

“You’re one to talk,” I scoffed.

“We aren’t talking about me. We’re talking about you. Besides, you already know she’ll say yes. She told you she liked you. It doesn’t get any easier than that.” Nate shook his head.