1. Get Your Head Out of the Gutter

Chapter 1: Get Your Head Out of the Gutter

Greyson’s Point of View

“My father’s going on another business trip today,” Brennan informed me as we made our way down the school hallway.

Her face was void of expression, but I knew she was hurting. I pulled her into the hug I knew she needed, the top of her blonde head barely grazing my shoulders.

“You know you’re always more than welcome to stay at my place,” I whispered in her ear. It was a common occurrence with her father leaving on business trips so often. My parents didn’t mind; Bren was like the daughter they never had.

“Thanks Greyson,” she murmured against my chest before releasing me. “I really appreciate it.”

“It’s no problem. You practically live at my house anyway.” I grinned easily, and she grinned as well. I knew she hated being all alone when her dad left. Bren’s mom divorced her father when she was five, and she hadn’t seen nor heard from her mother since.

We climbed the stairs and walked in the direction of her first class, calculus. “I’ll have Sterling stop by your house on the way home for your stuff, okay?”

Her pink lips twitched slightly before the corners curved into a small smile. “That’ll work.”

We walked through the door of her classroom and stopped at her desk. I stared at her for a moment while she readied herself for class, my eyes absorbing every one of her features. Features long familiar to me, but still alluring nonetheless. Her sapphire blue eyes, her long locks of blonde hair, her slightly crooked nose; all things I didn’t think I’d ever grow tired of.

I waited for her to finish before saying, “I’ll see you at lunch, Bren.”

She beamed at me. “Yeah, see you then!”

I glanced at my phone for the time as I walked across the school to my first class and figured I could make it if I hustled. The bell rang just as I entered the classroom causing me to smile victoriously. I plopped down in a seat next to my best friend, Nate.

“Nice, dude.” He held out a hand to high five me.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“Was Brennan the reason you were late?” Nate waggled his eyebrows, laughter in his green eyes.

“I wasn’t late,” I corrected him, purposely ignoring the question.

He cocked an eyebrow. “You need to just make a move.”

“Oh, really?” I asked in an innocent voice. “How did that work out with Lilah?”

His eyes narrowed. “Shut up.”

I smirked and focused on Mr. Johnson, my English teacher. He was my favorite teacher, but I hated the class. It was my worst subject whereas it was one of Bren’s best. Surprisingly, I understood everything we talked about and finished the homework before class even ended.

My next couple classes went by quickly, and it was lunchtime before I knew it. I waited in line to receive my not-so-edible lunch and headed to my usual table where Nate, Bren, and Lilah were already seated. “Hey guys.”

Nate and Lilah were, as usual, too absorbed in their own conversation to notice my presence, but Bren did.

“Hey Grey. I’m glad you’re here.” She gestured her thumb at Nate and Lilah. “I feel like a third wheel when I’m with these two.”

I chuckled. “I don’t blame you at all there.”

“So, how was your day?” Bren asked as she picked at her macaroni and cheese.